Welcome to the Emerald City Confidential Walkthrough!
Whether you use this document as a reference when things get difficult or as a roadmap to get you from beginning to end, we’re pretty sure you’ll find what you’re looking for here.
Beginning with General Tips, this post quickly moves on to complete breakdown of the Emerald City Confidential game – complete with annotated screenshots from actual game play!
We hope you find this information useful as you play your way through the game. Use the menu below to quickly jump to whatever part of the game you need help with.
Remember to visit the Big Fish Games Forums if you find you need more help. Have fun!
This walkthrough was created by Zach H.
GAME WALKTHROUGH MENU
- Emerald City Confidential is an adventure game with 50 quests. At the end of each quest you’ll receive a gem. Collect all 50 gems to complete the game.
- To interact with something in the game, simply click on it. From there, Petra will describe it, use it, or explain what is needed to use it.
- To use an item from the inventory bar, click on it at the bottom of the screen in the inventory bar and your cursor will change to that object.
- You’ll carry lots of different items in your inventory bar throughout the game. Remember that you can scroll through your list by clicking on the left and right arrows to find an item you’re looking for.
- Make use of Petra’s journal, as it contains information you’ve collected throughout the game.
- If you need to visit the game’s options during play, simply click the pause button.
- Be sure to ask as many questions as you can of the people you meet throughout the game. Their information may be the key to moving forward.
- Buttons are hidden throughout the game.
- They come in Red, Yellow, and Green.
- When you see a sparkle of one of these colors hidden in a screen, click on it.
- Note that not all buttons can be retrieved the first time you see them.
- Buttons are used to unlock concept art from Scraps who owns a shop next door to your office in Oz.
THE EMERALD CITY
GET INTO THE WAREHOUSE
- Click on the door and Petra will inform you that it is locked.
- Pick up the crowbar on the ground by clicking on it.
- Click on the crowbar in your inventory, and then click on the door to open it.
GET OFF THE BRIDGE ALIVE!
- When you awake, go through the dialogue options.
- The correct answer is: “Call for help.”
- Listen to conversation with Lion.
- Click on “[End Conversation] Enough Talk!” when you’ve finished asking questions.
FIND THE SPARE NOTEBOOK
- Take the key from the desk.
- Click on the key in your inventory bar, then on the file cabinet.
- Once you find your journal, you’ll meet Dee.
- Ask: “Just one more question, Miss Gale.”
- Click on the door to exit your office and move on to the next quest.
INVESTIGATE LEAD AT NORTH GATE
- Click on the Gump travel stand on the right side of the screen.
- On the destination map, click on North Gate.
NORTH GATE ARRIVAL
- Click on the guard Tik–Tok to ask about Anzel.
- Show Tik–Tok the photograph of Anzel you are carrying.
FOLLOW ANZEL’S TRAIL
- Click on the Gump stand at the North Gate, and travel to Grinetta Lane.
- Click on Hank the donkey to speak with him.
- Learn that you’ll need to make a delivery to get into Betsy Bobbins’ house.
- Talk to Hank further, using all question options.
FIND SOME FLOWERS FOR BETSY
- Take the Gump stand back to the North Gate.
- Click on the Map of Oz on the right side of the screen.
- Make note that Munchkin Country is blue, and Quadling Country is red. You’ll need to know both when you buy Betsy flowers.
- Take the Gump stand to Petra’s Office.
- Take a moment to talk to the odd looking man, and go through the conversation options.
- Go inside Scraps. Watch Scraps’ and Lion’s conversation.
- Speak with Petra. Go through all conversation options.
- Buy a bouquet of red and blue flowers for Betsy.
- Find Scraps’ button on top of the shelf to the right. Be on the lookout for glinting buttons throughout the game, and bring them back to Scraps; she’ll reward you with concept art from the game.
PETRA’S OFFICE – YELLOW BUTTON
- Go to Petra’s office, and take the yellow button resting on the stand near the door.
MAIN MAP – GREEN BUTTON
- Go to the Gump stand, and access the main map.
- Take the green button from the tower just below the moon.
BRING FLOWERS TO BETSY
- Go back to Betsy’s house, and give the flowers to Hank.
- Go inside and talk with Betsy; learn of Anzel’s connection with the University.
- Take a Gump back to the North Gate and talk to Tik–Tok to learn Jinjur’s location.
- Talk about the old times and ask some general questions of Tik–Tok.
- Learn that General Jinjur is at the East Dock.
EAST DOCK – GENERAL JINJUR
- Take a Gump to the newly discovered East dock.
- Walk past Jinjur and the two sailors she’s speaking with. Pick up the cufflinks on the end of the dock.
- Take the red button above the streetlights.
- Click on Jinjur to interrupt her interrogation and, when prompted, show her the cufflinks to prove the innocence of the sailors.
- After the sailors have left, talk to Jinjur, using all conversation options.
FOLLOW LEAD TO UNIVERSITY – PUMPKIN PATCH
- Take a Gump to the Pumpkin Patch.
- Once you arrive, speak with Jack. Use all conversation options.
FOLLOW LEAD TO UNIVERSITY – UNIVERSITY
- Pick up the red button on the stairs.
- Click on the University door to go inside.
- Pick up the green button on the lower left corner of the screen.
- Speak to Wogglebug, and use all conversation options.
- When available, speak with Cutter, and use all options.
- Get to the point where Cutter offers to hire you and, when prompted, answer, “Isn’t knowledge priceless?” to get access to the Knowledge Pharmacy.
- Go over to the machine, and click on it. When prompted, answer, “People…” and choose Jack Pumpkinhead. Swallow the pill.
- Take a Gump back to Petra’s office.
- Talk to Trot, and listen to her story.
- You’ll have the option to give a discount, charge normal rate, or be very generous. Choosing to be very generous will force you to pick one of the other two options.
INVESTIGATE CAPTAIN BILL
- Take a Gump to Ruggedo’s Bar.
- When you’re free to move, take a handful of candy from the bar.
- After Jinjur leaves, speak with Captain Bill, and use all conversation options.
- When finished, speak with Ruggedo.
- Take the umbrella on your way out.
- Once outside, speak with General Jinjur.
RETRIEVE MYSTERIOUS OBJECT
- Take a Gump to the docks.
- Pick up the mysterious object that floats onto the screen, using your umbrella.
- Go and speak with Trot using all conversation options.
HEAD TO THE UNIVERSITY – TOTO
- Take a Gump back to the University.
- Speak with Toto outside the University, and explore all conversation options with him.
- If you talked about everything, you’ll then need to get him a knowledge pill from the University.
- Go inside the University, click on the machine, and select, “Bill’s trial…”
- After swallowing it, take another pill of any kind, and save it for later to give to Toto.
- Once you have a second pill, attempt to leave. Wogglebug will require you to swallow the pill before you leave.
- Take Ruggedo’s candy from your inventory and use it to deceive Wogglebug.
- Once fooled, go outside and give Toto the knowledge pill, and then ask him to sniff the pumpkin. You’ll receive silver dog whistle from Toto for helping him.
CONFRONT CAPTAIN BILL
- Take a Gump and return to Ruggedo’s.
- Deal with Bill and get him to reveal the truth.
- Once you’ve finished, go back to the Pumpkin Patch to confront Jack.
- Choose “Confront him about Bill.”
FIND THE SCARECROW
- Take a Gump back to Petra’s office.
- Speak to the Scarecrow (formerly Odd-looking Man)
- Learn that he was once a ruler of Oz, and that he sent Anzel to Ruggedo’s.
- Head to Ruggedo’s bar.
- Speak to Ruggedo and tell him, “You can stop pretending. I know he came here.”
- You learn that Anzel is the decanter on the bar, and that the only way to talk to him is to be transformed yourself.
- Have Ruggedo transform you, and watch as he’s taken away by Jinjur.
- Click on Anzel, and discuss all topics with him.
- When you’re finished, talk to the mirror.
- You need to convince her she’s pretty so that she’ll reflect the image of the spell.
- Talk to Anzel and he tells you to talk to her about her eyes.
- Once you’ve convinced her, you’ll learn the magic spell Ornamentov.
- Click on it in the inventory bar, and use it to transform yourself back.
DEE AND PETRA AT THE PALACE
- Head outside and find a Gump sent for you by Dee.
- Once you arrive at the palace, go inside through the balcony door.
- Go through all the conversation options, and you’ll soon be on a quest to transform Anzel back, and retrieve the magic artifact he has.
TRANSFORM ANZEL – PUMPKIN PATCH
- Visit Jack again in his pumpkin patch.
- Go through all dialogue options with him until he tells you to visit Scraps’ store.
- NOTE: You’ll need to scroll down to view all the dialogue options.
TRANSFORM ANZEL – SCRAPS’ STORE
- Go and visit Scraps.
- Tell her “Jack sent me,” and go through all the dialogue options after that.
- Receive the transformation potion from her.
- Take a Gump over to Ruggedo’s.
- Enter Ruggedo’s bar, and select the transformation potion from your inventory (you may need to click on the left and right arrows to scroll through your items).
- Use it on the decanter/Anzel to transform him back into his person.
- Ask him, “What’s so important about the spirit rod?”
- Then choose, “[End Conversation] Enough talk!”
FOLLOW THAT GUMP!
- Follow Anzel outside, and watch him get scooped up by a Gump.
- Feed the candy in your inventory to the Gump to help him keep up.
- Once you do, click on Cutter to advance the story.
- When prompted, answer, “But…Phantasms have animal heads.”
- Exhaust the rest of the dialogue options.
- Arriving in the palace, Petra is questioned by the queen. Answer, “Anzel.”
- When asked where you received the transformation potion answer, “Bold-faced lie.”
- Note the green button on the curtains.
- You will be taken outside a cell containing Tik–Tok.
- Note the yellow button on the bottom shelf of the cabinet.
- Inside the cell, note the green button on the back wall.
- Exhaust all conversation options with Tik–Tok.
- Watch the cutscene between Cutter and Anzel.
- When visited by the Scarecrow, answer, “Cut it out, Scarecrow.”
- When he asks you why you do what you do, answer, “I’m good at it.”
- When asked again, answer, “I want to make a difference.”
- When asked why you broke the law, answer, “I have my reasons. You don’t need to know them.”
- Finally, answer, “No” and then “Yes.”
ESCAPE FROM PRISON
- Take the green button.
- Pick up the spell dropped on the floor.
- Take the spell from your inventory and use it on Petra.
GET PAST TIK-TOK
- Take the yellow button.
- Read the prisoner’s rights.
- Take the oblivion pills from the shelves.
- Take your items from the evidence bin.
- Use the escapum magic on yourself to re-enter your cell.
- Back in your cell, knock on the door to ask for food.
- Ask, “When do we eat?”
- Answer, “I’m hungry.”
- Ask, “How old is this food?”
- Answer, “I won’t eat this.”
- Take the green bottle from your inventory and use it on the food on the wall.
- Knock on the door to alert Tik–Tok.
- Answer, “Yes, there is a problem.”
- Answer, “The food on the wall poses a health hazard.”
- Use the escapum spell on Petra. Once outside your cell, go up the stairs.
ESCAPE THE PALACE
- Take the red button.
- Go down the left hallway to the throne room.
- Take the green button from the throne room.
- Use the magic picture on the wall and say, “Show me Dee.” Then choose, “Leave it alone.”
- Take the whistle from your inventory to call Toto, and have him take you to Dee.
- Answer, “Your boyfriend is the one that is incompetent.”
- Answer, “You owe me something for what I went through.”
- Answer, “Where’s my brother? You said you could help.”
- Answer, “Why didn’t you use the belt to find Anzel?”
- Answer, “You owe me, Princess.”
- Answer, “You want me to beg? I’ll beg.”
- Answer, “What did you just do.”
ESCAPE THE PALACE 2
- Back in the throne room, click on the left side of the screen to go back to the courtyard.
- Click on the right side of the screen to move past Jinjur.
- Once inside the entrance hall, listen to the Ozma and Scarecrow.
- Answer, “No I’m not.”
- Answer, “The Scarecrow gave me a magic spell.”
- Answer, “I know it’s worth something to somebody.”
- Answer, “Ruggedo helped us.”
- Answer, “Of course I do. Every school child knows those stories.”
- Answer, “It’s been a long time. I don’t remember them too well.”
- Answer, “How can a kingdom fight?”
- Answer, “Lucky for us they died.”
- Answer, “But people practice magic anyway.”
- Answer, “Yes, he told me about them.”
- Answer, “How did Cutter find something like that?”
- Answer, “The four witches? In a rod?”
- Answer, “Why me?”
- Once you leave the palace, you’ll see Winkie Country and Quadling Country added to your map.
- Go back inside the palace and take the yellow button from the entrance (you may want to visit Scraps now).
TOWN OF FLOW
- Take the yellow button from the building window under the “Shaggy’s” sign.
- Click towards the lower right corner of the screen to see the Tin Man.
- Answer, “I’m Petra, and I’m on a mission from Queen Ozma.”
- Answer, “I’ve heard of you.”
- Answer, “Ask about keystone.”
- Answer, “Do you know where it is?”
- Answer, “Did an expedition come here recently?”
- Answer, “What do you know about the keystone?”
- Answer, “What happened to the expedition party?”
- Answer, “I need to know where the expedition went.”
- [End conversation]
- Take the green button near the junk at the front of the screen.
- Speak with Shaggy, going through all dialogue options with him.
- Take the yellow button from the counter.
- Speak with Miss Cayke, and exhaust all conversation options with her.
VISIT THE FROGMAN
- Go back outside and talk to Tin Man about the Frogman.
- Make a deal with Tin Man to get evidence on the Frogman in exchange for information on the expedition.
- After that, ask Tin Man all the questions you can about the Frogman.
- Speak to the Sawhorse to be taken to the Frogman’s villa.
- Go to the front door and knock on it.
- Tell the assistant, “I’m looking for something called the keystone.”
- When prompted, answer, “Maybe we could help each other.”
- Ask all questions related to the smuggling he asks of you.
- Take a Gump, and visit Scraps back in Emerald City.
- Turn in any buttons you may have.
- Tell Scraps, “The Frogman sent me.”
- After receiving the magic paintbrush, go back to Frogman’s villa.
SMUGGLE FOR THE FROGMAN
- Upon arriving at the villa, say, “I’m here to see the Frogman.”
- Answer, “I’ve got your paintbrush.”
- After you leave, Nimee will ask you to deliver a locket to the Tin Man.
- Go speak to Shaggy.
- You’ll being a quest to match him with Miss Cayke.
UNIVERSITY – VOCABULARY PILL
- Take a Gump to the University.
- Ask the pill machine for a vocabulary pill.
- Trick Wogglebug as you did before with your candy to sneak the pill out.
SHAGGY – VOCABULARY PILL
- Visit Shaggy and give him the vocabulary pill from your inventory.
- He then teaches you the woodsia spell.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FROGMAN
- Take the Saw Horse to Frogman’s villa.
- When you arrive, use the woodsia spell on Saw Horse.
- Watch him cast a spell as you float outside his window.
SHAGGY AND MISS CAYKE
- Head to Miss Cayke’s diner.
- Watch as Shaggy “bares his soul” to her.
- When he leaves, talk to Miss Cayke about Shaggy and the Frogman.
- Go back and speak to Shaggy in his garage.
- Use your oblivion pills on Shaggy to return his speech to normal.
- Return to the diner to see how things have changed.
- Talk to her again about the Frogman.
- Head over to the Frogman’s house again with the teleportrait spell.
- Before you go in, question Miss Amee as much as you can, and inform her that the Tin Man won’t take her locket.
- Answer, “I’ve got access to a supply of drugs.”
- Once she leaves the room, use the paintbrush from your inventory on the painting to see yourself in it.
- Cast the teleportrait spell on the newly renovated painting.
- Open the drawer in the painting. You’ll find her secret files.
- Cast teleportrait on the portrait to leave it.
- Leave the house and return to the Tin Man.
PROOF AT LAST!
- Click on Frogman’s files in your inventory and give them to the Tin Man.
- Talk to the Saw Horse and go to Winkie Ravine.
FREE THE WITCH
- Upon arriving at Winkie Ravine, use the spirit rod on the keystone to free the witch.
- Go through all the conversation options with the witch.
- Upon the Frogman’s arrival, answer, “I’m not a criminal.”
DEFEAT THE FROGMAN
- Cast the woodsia spell on the Saw Horse.
- He’ll rise up and kick the Frogman off the cliff.
- When it’s all over, click on the Saw Horse to return.
EXPLORE WOOT’S ARENA
- Pick up the green button near the arena.
- Pick up the copper rod from the lower right corner of the screen.
- Enter the stadium.
INSIDE THE ARENA
- Pick up the yellow button near where you came in.
- Go and speak to Woot.
- Exhaust all conversation options with Woot.
- Click on the large double doors to enter the arena.
- Pick up the red button from the bleachers.
- Go and speak to the Wizard.
- Exhaust all conversation options with him.
- Leave the arena, and enter the café behind Woot; speak with Mombi.
- Pick up the red button sitting on the table in front of you.
- Speak to the magic rope at the top of the stairs. Take up the quest to free him.
- Go and speak with Mombi, and use all conversation options.
- Leave the arena, and head towards Glinda’s tower.
- Pick up the red button in the red grass at the bottom left side of the screen.
- Pick up the Tonk Rock to the right of the tower’s front door.
- Head back to the stadium, and speak with Woot.
- Learn that Mombi has the key to Glinda’s tower; go and speak to her about it.
- On your way to her, speak to the barista in the café and purchase the special; it will be placed into your inventory.
- Mombi will only give you the key if you defeat her in the arena; go talk to Woot.
GET A COACH
- Go back into the arena and speak to the Wizard.
- Ask him to be your coach. Tell him you’ll give him the tower key if you win.
- The Wizard agrees to coach you if you beat Ugu.
- Once in the ring, Ugu will imprison you in a box. Use the escapum spell to get out.
FREE THE MAGIC ROPE
- Go back to the café, and climb to the top of the stairs.
- Take the Tonk Rock from your inventory, and place it on the top of the rope.
- He’ll drop the rock on the rope charmer, and the rope will be added to your inventory.
DEFEAT MOMBI IN THE RING
- First, go back to the arena, and use the copper rod in your inventory to repair the bent ring rod in front of you.
- Go talk to Woot, and tell him you have a coach.
- Answer, “I want to fight Mombi.”
- Once in the ring, Mombi will first cast a magic shield. Use your sap magic on her.
- Next, Mombi will use wind magic on Petra. Take the heavy cake from the inventory, and use it on Petra to weigh her down.
- Once the wind has stopped, cast sap on Mombi again.
- Mombi will cast a magic hole on Petra. Use the magic rope to pull yourself out. Cast sap again to destroy her shield.
- Remember when you placed the copper rod? Mombi will cast lightning on you now, and the rod will absorb the lightning away from you. Cast sap on her for the final time.
- Arrive at the tower, and the Wizard will open it with the key.
- Answer, “What were you expecting?”
- Pick up the yellow key at the front of the screen.
- Place the spirit rod on the keystone to free Glinda.
- Answer, “How do you know my name?”
- Answer, “What do you know about the spirit rod?”
- Answer, “I’m looking for someone.”
SAVE THE WIZARD
- Mombi shows up and tries to do away with the Wizard by throwing him off the tower.
- While Mombi and Glinda fight over the Wizard, use the light snack from your inventory on the Wizard to bring him back to safety.
- Watch the scene come to a close, and find yourself in front of your office.
- When Cutter appears, answer, “Surprised response.”
- When prompted again, answer, “Reply with sarcasm.”
OZ – PREPARATIONS FOR WAR
- Pick up the red button from the puddle outside her office (turn in any buttons you have to Scraps, if you wish).
- Watch the scene unfold with Cutter.
- Answer, “Pleasure to see you too, General.”
- Answer, “Shut up. Now is not the time.”
- Answer, “Where is Cutter now?”
- Answer, “War?”
- Answer, “What is our battle strategy?”
- Answer, “How did Cutter do this?”
- Answer, “How come nobody saw this coming?”
- Answer, “I need to find Cutter. It’s important.”
- Answer, “You can’t kill Cutter.”
- Answer, “How do I get to Phanfasm Island?”
- Answer, “I’d like to re-enlist.”
- Answer, “Send me ahead of the army.”
- Answer, “I want to be paid.”
- Exit to the courtyard, and talk to Lion. Exhaust all conversation options.
- Head to the entrance hall.
- Speak with Tik–Tok, and exhaust all conversation options.
BACK TO THE THRONE ROOM
- Go and speak to Scarecrow; ask to become the ambassador.
- Head back to the courtyard, and speak again to Lion on the subject.
- Answer, “I am a victim of unfair discrimination.”
- Answer, “Tell me! What do I need to do?”
- [Pay him 10,000 emeralds]
- After the cutscene, speak with the Scarecrow.
- The Scarecrow gives you a teleportation vial.
- Exhaust the rest of the conversation options; go tell Lion thank you for his help, and then use the vial to teleport to Phanfasm Island.
- Arrive on Phanfasm Island, and immediately you are confronted by Phanfasms.
- Once locked up, answer, “Let us go!”
- Answer, “Who are you?”
- Answer, “Why are you doing this?”
- Use the sap spell on Ozma.
- Use the escapum spell on Petra.
- Answer, “I thought you were drained of all your magic?”
- Go to the chasm.
CROSS THE CHASM
- Use the biguuf spell on the sapling next to Petra.
- Use reversia on Petra.
- Use the aisdoow (woodsia backwards) spell on the tree.
- Click on the lower left corner of the screen to exit the area.
- Speak to Anzel in the jail through the bars. Use all options.
- Use the mupacse (escapum backwards) spell on Petra to get into the prison.
- Speak with Anzel completely, and teleport him back to Oz.
- Click on the door to leave.
- Once outside, use the dog whistle on Petra to weaken the smithy.
- Click on the hall to leave.
- After watching Ozma and the guards walk by, enter the library on your right.
- Speak with your brother.
- Use the reversia spell on Petra.
- Place the woodsia spell on the plank Ozma is on.
- Answer, “You took my brother, I’m taking him back.”
- Escape to the throne room with Cutter.
- Use the reversia spell on Petra, and then the fuugib (biguuf backwards) spell on the vines.
- Escape to the hall.
DEFEAT THE FIRST AND FOREMOST
- Use the reversia spell on Petra.
- Use the teleportrait spell on the First and Foremost.
- Grab the torch near Petra, and burn the portrait.
- Answer, “Are you okay?”
- Speak with William in prison, and use all conversation options.
- Use the teleportrait spell on William.
- Watch the ending.