In keeping with the holiday season, we thought it would be fun to take a second to look at why digital products are such fantastic gift ideas.
More and more entertainment is moving online and can be accessed directly via the web. Whether you’re interested in movies, music, books, or games, you will find each is available as a downloadable product. If you are having trouble grasping the idea of a ’digital product’, try thinking about the difference between email (digital) and a hand-written letter (not digital).
We were able to come up with ten great reasons why digital products are a great way to let someone know you are thinking about them this holiday season. Best of all, these gifts are good for the sender too. Read on to find out why…
- No wrapping required. Digital downloads are just that – digital. There really isn’t a tangible product. The gift you give exists in the digital space so there is no need to break out the wrapping paper, scissors, and tape.
- Digital products can’t be ’lost’. For those of you who have accidentally deleted a game from your computer, you know getting it back is as simple as going back online and downloading it again. What a great insurance policy!
- Unbreakable. While it’s possible to break your computer, it isn’t really possible to break a digital product. Even if you were able to mess the game up, it can always be deleted and downloaded again (see #1).
- Replayable. When it comes to games, they are almost never the same the second time around. Even after you’ve finished the game, you can always go back and play it again for a new experience.
- Expandable. The idea of expansion is most common for games where new content and expansion sets are often released to make your initial purchase even better.
- No shipping required. Don’t want to pay to ship something across the country? No problem! Downloading is free.
- Exposure to technology. By gifting a digital product, you give the lucky recipient a new reason to engage with their computer. In doing so, they are bound to learn more about their PC or Mac.
- Try before you buy. Worried the gift you are considering isn’t quite right for your niece or nephew? Try it yourself and see! Nearly all digital products offer some way to try the product before you buy it. Whether it’s a trial version of a game or scenes from a movie on YouTube, you can almost always sample a digital product before you commit.
- Last second gift option. Digital downloads are available immediately. There is no shipping time. As soon as you finish gifting the product, it is available to the lucky recipient. If you’re the type of person who waits to do their holiday shopping until the last minute, sending a digital download may save the day!
- Available anywhere. Although there are some limitations to this, for the most part, digital products are available from a remote location…one that you can access via the internet. As long as you have a connection to the web, you should be able to get your product. No more realizing you left your favorite book at home five minutes after your flight to the Bahamas leaves the ground!
There you have it, ten reasons why digital products make for great presents. If you are interested in gifting a game, feel free to check out Big Fish Games Gifting.