Self Aware Games creates free-to-play games that connect people all over the world and across platforms! Our Big Fish Casino franchise tops the charts among mobile social casino games, and we keep the party going with mini-games, in-game events, and other social hits!
We are looking for flexible individuals who have a strategic viewpoint and can grow as we grow our Business Intelligence Analytics team in Oakland. You will be part of our Self Aware Games Analytics team, which is a small group of dedicated analysts whose primary focus is to support product and marketing teams with analysis, research and insights that are immediately applicable in terms of enhancing customer interaction with our games.
The Data Scientists are responsible for applying a wide variety of statistical and analytical techniques to business problems to glean valuable insights in support of key strategic business initiatives. They are comfortable manipulating and analyzing complex, often changing format, high-volume, and high-dimensionality data from varying sources. They use applied statistical methods and algorithms to generate practical business insight from data. Incumbents are effective communicators capable of independently driving issues to resolution and communicating insights to non-technical audiences.
- Work closely with the business to understand key divisional and strategic customer facing business changes that could enhance business outcomes such as satisfaction, gamer retention, and willingness to make a purchase.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of game KPIs, and anticipate analytical needs in the face of frequently changing input data streams from constantly changing game content and development.
- Analyze game and user specific data, define and clarify ambiguous problems and make timely recommendations to Product Managers, Game Producers, Game Designers and Marketing
- Use best practices to integrate data from multiple source systems to build comprehensive data sets for analysis.
- Use advanced applied visualization techniques to communicate insights and recommendations to technical as well as non-technical users.
- Work with Engineering/Product teams to generate, collect, structure, and measure data for business use.
- Develop guidelines for data discovery, data cleansing, transformation and assembly of large data sets for analysis.
- Design and build measuring framework for A|B tests
- Develop and test medium to complex applied statistical or computational models capable of informing practical business decision making
- Lead, mentor and collaborate with other teams on data science projects
- Work with unstructured/semi structured data to extract useful analytic measures from the data flows.
- Recommend best practices for analysis and visualization
REQUIRED ABILITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS, AND XP
- Experience working with business teams to define analytical measurement apparatus in support to strategic business goals
- Experience with effectively writing, presenting and communicating research results to other teams.
- Experience leading projects and providing technical mentorship to team members
- Experience using various statistical techniques to analyze and present findings
- Experience with building and implementing predictive models, including data preparation/cleaning, model validation and evaluation
- Experience using supervised and unsupervised learning methods to derive practical analytic insights
- Skilled with using visualization techniques for presenting data and analysis - knowledge of Tableau is a plus.
- Proficiency using at least one programming language (R or Python) for analysis
- Skilled with using advanced SQL, including knowledge of analytic functions and building data sets
- Experience with building ETL processes to load data sets for analysis and reporting
- Familiarity with relational databases, star schema structures, semi structured data and unstructured data
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, etc.
- 5-8 years of experience applying statistical methods and techniques to solve business problems
- Big data experience (Hive, Spark, HDFS) a big plus!
- Advanced degrees
- Driven by curiosity and have a desire to go beneath the surface of a problem to ask the right business questions and identify potential answers that can be tested and proven in an applied setting
- Self-directed and value continuous improvement and learning
- Comfortable learning and applying new tools and techniques
We’ve come a long way, and continue to grow! Since our founding in 2002, Big Fish has been an industry leader in mobile, free-to-play casual games, and are now embarking on our latest adventure in the mid-core space! With just over 600 employees across our Seattle headquarters, Oakland studio, and Luxembourg office, the Big Fish Pond includes six studios, each with a unique personality and set of goals. We are where gamers, artists, and executives alike come together to collaborate and grow, while also enjoying the opportunities and benefits of a larger company. We’ve got you covered with great benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, retirement options, transportation and fitness discounts, and great work-life balance!
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com!Come be the next Big Fish in the Pond!