Since its founding in 2002, Big Fish has been the world’s largest producer and distributor of casual games, with titles which continuously land us at the top of app store charts. Today, we’re bounding into the mid-core space, exploring new and exciting forms of gameplay, and producing more fun than ever! Big Fish is home to six individual studios, each with its own unique style of game-play. Together, we’re united under a common goal: to produce and develop the very best in mobile gaming, and bring fun and entertainment to our millions of customers across the globe!
SkyRocket Studios is the team within Big Fish responsible for creating chart topping mobile games like Dungeon Boss and the Fairway Solitaire franchise. Our internal game studio in Seattle is looking for an evidence-based UX Designer. If you think playing other games, doing armchair research, and having a repertoire of graphic design work qualifies you to put a “U” in front of the UX designer title that is on your resume, this role isn’t for you.
However, if you’re passionate about putting the user at the forefront of your designs by using empirically based methods to test design hypotheses, have a grounded sense of empathy, and want to create real value for people through understanding behavior, then we’d love to talk. If selected, you will be working closely with other UX Designers, Game Design, Research, Product, Engineering and Art to shape the future of our work processes and craft the best mobile user experiences in the industry.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Understand user behavior and motivations: use qualitative and quantitative methods like contextual inquiry, A/B testing, and experimental design in collaboration with our research team.
- Define opportunities for value-based innovation: have a concise understanding of business needs and combine them with user data to create user-centered hypotheses to test.
- Design solutions: create strategy, sketches, mind maps, flow charts, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and mockups while iterating based on data from research. Know when different UX methods are appropriate given scope.
- Deliver concepts: create assets that are polished and easily understandable for your internal users (your team!) Know when documentation is needed and when it is not.
- Collaborate with teammates: (game designers, art leads, product managers, producers, engineers, and QA) to iterate on the functionality, tune existing features and create the UX design for new and evolving features while maintaining a high level view of the user experience of the whole product.
- Push UX boundaries: explore the latest emerging trends through independent research and share that information with your team and fellow UX designers.
- Drive awareness: advocate the importance of human-computer interaction challenges and opportunities, user feedback, journey mapping and data-driven decisions in designing the end-to-end user experience.
- Super passionate about user-centered design and with a fascination for understanding the human experience.
- A lateral as well as analytical thinker that is detail oriented and has an eye for better-than-good design.
- Adept at translating business and user requirements as well as goals into design frameworks.
- Able to present a well-thought out, end-to-end design process from past projects with games, websites, or apps. This includes examples of prototypes, wireframe production, process flows, personas, journey mapping, and how you applied them.
- Able to demonstrate qualitative and quantitative based decision making..
- Able to demonstrate excellent understanding of game navigation and common UI patterns as they relate to engagement and monetization in the mobile space.
- Experienced in designing interfaces for mobile and other platforms (iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, Facebook) is preferred.
- A team player, open to critiques from all disciplines, and not afraid to share your ideas.
- Continuously learning, constantly seeking opportunities to experiment, fail fast, optimize workflows and foster open communication.
- Proactive and straightforward, demonstrating excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A curious and critical thinker, able to articulate complex ideas with humility (and a healthy dose of humor).
- Independent, organized yet flexible, and able to prioritize effectively without losing sight of the big picture.
- Fascinated by games, especially mobile free to play, and the ways in which this growing genre continues to change and evolve.
- Portfolio submission
- College degree in Design, Cognitive Psychology, Applied Anthropology, Human Factors, or Human Computer Interaction
- 5+ years as a user experience designer
Nice to Have:
- Master’s Degree in HCI or Human Centered Design
- Rapid prototyping in Unity
- Passionate about games and mobile app enthusiast
- Experience in social game production, building enduring social communities, midcore games, and game merchandising
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com!
Be the next Big Fish in the Pond!