The Treasures Of Montezuma
This was either my 2nd or 3rd match 3 I'd ever played and every time I upgrade my computer, on this game goes for another round of playing. For me I found this to be fun and challenging the higher up in levels I went. I love the graphics and animations and the interface is nicely done.
November 26, 2011
A good, basic Match 3
Timed only - but you have unlimited re-try on the levels if you run out of time so it is not impossible.
Fairly long - 41 levels over 5 different 'locations' and when those are finished you can re-play on Hard mode.
Unlimited Hint, but it costs points.
2 shuffles each level. But if there are no more matches possible, the game auto-shuffles with no penalty.
The objects for matching are tokens in different colours, and at first glance this may make the boards look dull compared to newer M3 games.
In some of these tokens are embedded gems. Matching 3 or more will explode the tokens and free the gems. This is the ultimate goal of each board; complete the level by collecting a set number of gems. The number increases by 5 each level.
As usual, 'skillful' playing #M4, M5, speed etc.# will give bonus items such as bombs, lightning rays, extra time, and these can be upgraded.
Power Totems are essential to winning. These are items that you purchase/upgrade, which holds special powers that will help you win the level on time. Their powers are activated by making its corresponding colour-match 2 times in a row, if upgraded enough additional powers are unleashed by making 3 matches of its colour in a row.
- Steel tokens - cannot be matched, but will move. Fills up the board and gives less colour tokens to make matches.
- Chains - locks the tokens in place. Remove by include it in a match.
- On later levels the grid #board# gets smaller, hence less tokens available for matching.
There are some mini-games to liven things up, quite easy on the lower levels but gets harder - i.e you have less time to finish, or things move faster.
There are trophies to be earned, and they carry over to Hard mode.
There are some minuses:
- The whole game feels quite sluggish - the tokens are quick to move when you grab them, but there is an annoying hesitation in the matching/exploding and resulting falling down. This can be taken advantage of, however, because you can make matches above if you are quick enough, before the tokens fall down. If you get into a rythm you can keep this up so that at one time half my board was 'empty' because the matched tokens had exploded but the above tokens hadn't had the time to fall down yet.
- In-game help cannot be turned off. Annoying if you re-play under a different profile.
- If you earn a trophy during a level, the trophy room will pop up while you play, interrupting your flow.
- The power Totems are not efficient enough on later levels, meaning that after you reach about 120 gems to be collected you spend what feels like an eternity on each level.
- The description of the help from the Power Totems is not exhaustive - after upgrading one, a new 'power' is mentioned, but not always what you need to do to activate it - which is usually making 3 consecutive matches of its colour, not just 2.
This is one of the staple Match 3 games that has in some ways formed a mould for later games. Although it is some years old #2009, I think# it has held up admirably. Even with the minuses is still better than many newer of the M3 genre.
January 15, 2012
Stuck with the timer
I tried the trial and liked it so bought it, into about the 2 level I found its very hard to get the 45 stones to pass the level. But I am older and not as fast as the younger people that have bought it. I would love to be able to play the game and try to finish it but I know theres no way for that to happen. So if your elderly don't buy this one you will not be able to get very far in it. I really love all the up grades you can buy if you pass a level.
July 3, 2012
great match 3 game
i love this game and also the other two the second one is still the best for me but i give all three 5 stars and hope that it will be a 4th montezuma
July 19, 2012
Exciting and fun
I love this game . It is so exciting and fun to play. I just wish they had more of them. I first saw the third one and downloaded it,loved it,so went back to find they had one and two. It is such a cool game I do not know why there are no other reviews yet. I hope they come out with more on this series because I would so play them. I wish I had a credit card to get them all. I am not a total fan of time-management games yet,but am working on that. These games are challenging and my 7 year old son likes them as well. Thanks again.
April 5, 2013