Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial
Great Game but,,,
Really enjoyed the game, great hidden objects screens. But could have used some hints or maps for certain areas.
July 13, 2012
Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial
My favourite of the Edgar Allan Poe games.
- Very enjoyable mystery type game. The story was good with a nice happy ending.
- Graphics are the best out of the three Dark Tales games; probably because this is the most recent of them.
- Few things towards the end annoyed me a bit though...(1) for some reason, the game started telling what to do and what to use for certain situations. For example, if I examined a pot plant base, the character said "Ooh, a key. I'll need a magnet to get this" or when I was looking at a curtain, the character said "Hmm, this tassel will be good, I should cut this with my knife". I hate this! I like to play for myself and not have my hand held so much.....and (2) the game started to go very slow and took a good 10 seconds to move between scenes which is frustrating to say the least, especially when you're near the end and want to get finished.
- HO scenes were ok, but quite easy. I found all objects fairly quickly with ease. The descriptions of items were random sometimes though and didn't match! For example, the clue was 'Bowl' and the actual item in the scene was a cup! This happened a few times. Quite irritating.
- Puzzles were ok, again fairly easy. Nothing new....all puzzles I've seen before.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
- Hint and Skip buttons (no hint button in main game though, only in HO scenes.)
- No map
- No extras, collectables or achievements
- Two modes of play; casual or expert. I played in expert.
LENGTH OF GAME:
- Average. Took me two evenings to complete the game.
Despite there being a few frustrating and bad features, I did enjoy playing the game.
July 1, 2012
Very fun game. Good storyline. A lot of HOS's, sometimes too many. I have enjoyed all of the games in the Dark Tales series that I have played.
April 23, 2012
No hint button no buy
I love to play ERS games but now with all the going back and forth in the games I at times need a hint. I donot like going to the walk through just to see what to do next. So now if there is no hint button I do not buy.
November 18, 2012
pros and cons list - good game not great
ERS knows their formula and have stuck with it.
That is a positive and negative thing for them. While this game is good the formulaic style leaves me a bit bored, I know what to expect and I get nothing new or exciting. But that is ERS for you- you know what you are going to get. Which is why I don't give any of their games an A as you have to do something out of the ordinary and push yourself to do an exceptional game instead of giving us a good solid B game.
pros - collecting roses nice touch for a SE and if you get all the roses makes the game plot at the very end slightly better
- romantic plot
- couple of medium puzzles, they usually have all easy puzzles
-no sparkles on my setting
- I just don't like their washed out graphics which they love
- A bit glitchy - sometimes the 'eye' wouldn't pick up on a HO scene and had to be very accurate on a non accurate area (ie at end there was a big expanse of grass for a HO scene but if you didn't hover over it in the exact spot you wouldn't know there was one)
- Also had to exit the game to get one of the puzzles working
- The junk pile hidden object scenes - all of their scenes were this way. While a couple of items in it is interactive most other DEVS are at least doing a few non junk pile HO scenes as well as being interactive (ie doing something in a scene to reveal an item)
- puzzles are always on the easy side with ERS they need some more that are a challenge. If I pick a harder setting to play then the puzzle should be harder as well.
- opening with broken down mode of transport (and there have been a few carriages in games) it just gets old and a bit predictable and boring
January 6, 2012
Premature? Just at the right time!
I thought this was a fun game. I enjoy games which aren't overwhelmed with HOS and this was not. There were many and at times they came in clumps, but not too many. There was a storyline that moved well and was interesting and I didn't think the HOS interrupted the progress.
Some of the other puzzles in the game were a little too easy...or I just got really lucky on my first attempts. My criticism of some other puzzles isn't so much about their difficulty but about the directions. There needs to be more clear instruction about what to do (I don't mean solving the puzzle for me). I was often left wondering what the designers meant by their instructions and resorted to the walkthrough to figure it out.
To it's credit this game did not have the annoying back and forth that many do. When you get to one area there is usually a real purpose and you're there for a little while. Of course there are exceptions but they are few.
I thought the scenery and artistry were beautiful in this. The music was constant. At times there were sound effects or musical interludes which seemed meant to underscore the suspense but I thought they missed the mark...I couldn't tell what triggered the "there's something exciting and scary happening here" music and it didn't really fit. The regular sound track could be a little annoying because there is relatively little change to it throughout. Still, it really gave a very nice European feel to the setting.
All in all, a well designed, fun game which I thoroughly enjoyed.
July 20, 2012
Unfortunately a Boring Game
I found this game to be very boring. The storyline did not keep my interest, and by half way through I was anxious for the game to be over.
There are not really that many scenes / rooms - in comparison with some of the really great games that are out there. The graphics were decent - no issue there. The games were a bit dull and repetitive. The hidden object scenes were fine.
I think it was the lack of 'adventure', lack of scenes and places to go, as well as the dull storyline.
I don't recommend this game.
March 25, 2012
Not my favorite But Definitly worth my time
I found this game a very easy paced one with puzzles that were mostly on the easy side. This is perfect for those days when you want to just relax. I'm not a detective and mystery fan but I did enjoy this (it is Edgar Allen Poe!) Some of the hidden objects were outstanding within the HO picture, but I did get tired of the "junk filled style." What I do like, from my old Adventure games is going back and forth between screens which this game does. However, I think there should have been more scenes to work through.
I found the different scenes to be short of things to click on which I also enjoy doing - one or two usually. It was challenging at times when you needed to think outside of the box with your items and how they were used - some were very creative.
Again, a great game for a raining day or 100 degrees like Tucson, AZ.
July 13, 2012
Stylish HOG game with some flaws
Not the best hidden object game I have played. The graphics are well done but not as crisp as in some games. I felt there were rather too many piles of junk to sort through, and the naming of some of the objects in the HOG scenes was questionable. All the puzzles were easy, and some lacked meaningful instructions, so the biggest puzzle was trying to work out what you were meant to do! On the whole, not a bad way to spend a couple of evenings, but House of 1000 doors or Secrets of the Dark are better, I think.
July 12, 2012
This game represents one of the things I totally dislike and that frustrates me. I had to keep going to the walk through to find out where to go next. The hints were no help at all. I don't mind having to go to a walk through for help with some of the puzzles or HO scenes, but please, have some logic to all the jumping around from place to place.
February 24, 2012