Hidden Mysteries: Royal Family Secrets
OK, but not great....
I was weary of this game, mainly because of some bad reviews, but I decided to try it for myself. Mostly enjoyed it, but there were too many bad points to give it anymore than 3 stars I'm afraid.
- A lot like the Midnight Mysteries series, where you had to perform tasks for ghosts to help them rest. This one was set in a Royal kingdom. The character you play is a hand-maiden to the Queen.
- I liked the story, but it felt a bit rushed in places. Some 'ghost tasks' were very short and you just found what they wanted in the next scene.
- Gameplay was smooth; and moved quickly between clicking scenes.
- Graphics were ok, I've seen better, but I've also seen worse. A bit grainy in places, but fairly colorful.
- Music I had to shut off unfortunately as it was annoying.
- No voiceovers, just dialogue to read at the bottom. Didn't like to be honest, it feels better when you can hear people speaking, rather than having to read huge pages of dialogue.
- Both were very easy!
- HOS were just lists of items, no interactive items.
- Puzzles were super easy, didn't spend more than 1-2 minutes on any of them. However, what I did like about the puzzles was that they were different and I'd not come across the puzzle types before in other games.
WHAT DO YOU GET?:
- Hint/skip buttons
- Two game modes
- No collectables/achievements, or extras
- Map (not interactive, but does help you if you get stuck)
- Not bad length for a SE; took me about 3 hours to complete. But to be honest, I was kinda glad when it finished, as it wasn't great.
I do recommend but only if you want an easy and casual few hours.
May 27, 2013
Not for history buffs
The game is OK, It has a certain level of difficulty, but can be solved quickly enough - maybe too simple. Most irritating is when you need to rememberr something that you left behid several rooms ago, and cannot remember which, so you have to check room by room.
Also the history plays fast and loose his known history, whcih if you have read any of it CAN be irritating. Like Shakespear did not die before Queen Elizabeth, Henry VI was no warrior, And Richard the III's body ws not in the tower... It was under a parking lot...
If you can forget all that, then it is fun.
April 10, 2013
Ok if you are filling time
If you are a beginner at HOG then you may like this game. Nice part is the history and graphics but you have to go back and forth too many times so became repeatably and a bit boring at time for me, but played my way through it
May 19, 2012
I really couldn't get into this game. There wasn't anything terribly new on offer, except, perhaps, the locale and historical setting. The puzzles were really easy, and the HOS reasonably straightforward. I ended up using the map a lot to find where my next task was, because I didn't feel a lot of the tasks made much sense, and I had no interest in clicking aimlessly until I discovered which object fit in an area. There are a lot of rooms, and a lot of moving back and forth between them. Using the map really reduced the challenge level for me, so I wasn't overly happy.
I'm not really sure how the premise of the game (condemned to death for theft of the Queen's jewel) related to the tasks of releasing souls.
Is it just me, or is there two versions of this game? Because some people talk about the secret relationship the queen was having (not featured at all in the game I played), and some talk about releasing souls.
April 27, 2012
Played Demo and it could have been better
The idea for the story was a good one, but it lacked fun while playing. I think it could have been better.
April 16, 2012
It was O.K.
I liked it for the diversion but did not find it difficult or challenging enough. It was all too predictable. I am glad I purchased it with a free coupon.
April 15, 2012
Not sure I would play a 2nd time
I bought the game, it is a long game. There is a map of where you are and where the tasks are, which is a help. It's just kind of eerie. I'm glad I played it and now I'll uninstall it and perhaps play in a year or so.
April 7, 2012
The only thing that I can add, that has not been mentioned by other reviews, is that I wish this games "Hint Button" would actually point to the area that needs to be searched for missing item, rather than simply stating "Nothing more to do in this area".
If you like back tracking all over the place looking for the missing item, then this game is for you. I myself don't.
April 6, 2012
not my fav
I play Hidden object/adventure type games like this on a fairly often basis. I played almost the full demo and just found it not to be enjoyable......the flow is off or weird to me. It wasn't horrible, I was just glad I was playing a demo! Not my cup of tea.
April 6, 2012
Based on the demo, all in all this is an average game. No voice overs, storyline the usuak need to free ghosts to free yourself, HOs not that sharp. The hint button is slow. Puzzles are more than easy.
There is a map, the only useful feature in this game.
And considering the size of the demo vs the size of the full game, and that I played the demo in just 35 minutes, I very much wonder about the play lenght of this game.
March 30, 2012