Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart Collector's Edition
Almost 5 stars
Would've liked it to have been a little more challenging. Only one objective at a time which made it super easy to remember rooms and tasks without having to consult the map. Everyone should give the expert level a try. A lot of back and forth but the graphics were great so not that irritating having to scroll thru the scenes. I say it all the time....but the one extra chapter isn't worth doubling the cost of the game. The bonus chapter was good, but overall the game was on the short side. I completed it in one afternoon without hitting help once. (2012)
September 22, 2012
Some good stuff in there...
- Incredibly intricate story!
- Quality cinematic cut-scenes, including top-rate voice overs
- Tons & tons of locations
- Really nice graphics
- Map always lets you know where to go next
- Interesting puzzles
- Collect coins to continue story, adding suspense!
- Easy to find HOS, no punishment for missed clicks
- Pirate theme is really cool
- While graphics are nice, again most of the scenes are muted blues & greys
- Boat scene navigation is super confusing!
- As there's almost always just ONE single objective at any given time, game has an extremely linear feeling
- There is a TON of dreaded Back-Tracking
- MAP is a great feature, but at times is somewhat confusing
Overall a good solid pirate game with a great back-story. I just wish there were less back-tracking & more to do at times.
September 11, 2012
Puzzles Were too Easy
I really like this game. The graphics were excellent, and the storyline - including the ending - was really good. The only thing that could have made it better would be to make the puzzles a bit more challenging. Each one took me less than a couple minutes, which was disappointing.
June 1, 2012
Very Good and Enjoyable Game
This was a very good game, I really enjoyed playing it. It had more than just the hidden objects, it also had puzzles. Plot of story was interesting, but a bit predictable. Overall, I would definitely recommend to others.
May 28, 2012
This game is an excellent example of why, after four years and nearly 300 games, I can no longer fill a punch card. In perhaps half an hour of "game" time I probably spent 10 minutes sitting with my hands folded, watching cinematic-quality scenes on my laptop screen. This is what movies are for. When I did get to actually play, before I could get into any kind of rhythm or get a sense of the game play, it was interrupted by yet another scene or stupendously slow play like picking up a hammer and watching as...it..slowly...hit...a...window...three...times. I would rather play a two hour game I couldn't wait to play again than a six hour game I couldn't wait to end. Unfortunately, there have been so many rave reviews for this game--and all the recent others like it--developers will undoubtedly jump on this tarted-up band wagon and continue this stultifyingly dull trend. Ah well, back to crosswords and logic puzzles, I suppose.
May 18, 2012
Not for me
I almost didn't try this based on the title alone. I know plenty of people still enjoy the creepier games but I feel like I've played the best ones already. If it has both "nightmares" and "cursed" in the title, it better blow me away. This did not.
Visually, the game is beautiful. Lovely graphics and artwork. The usual cut-scenes, voice overs, animations. The story begins in a museum (which I love) before moving to a haunted ship. If you enjoy this theme, you may like this game, it's well done. The story is presented nicely (with attempted scares) and the game feels polished.
Here are the things I did not like:
- Only 2 difficulty modes, meaning either sparkles (really annoying in this game) or lose the active zones on the map.
- Very linear, and you are hand held through what to do.
- Artificially slow, everything uses slow animations: break the glass slowly 3 times to get in the case, unpack the crate slowly. The cursor is sluggish and I suspect intentionally so. There are too many extra steps: put the key in the lock, turn the key, press the handle (all with slow animations you have to wait to complete).
- I don't like the cursor icons, especially the gear for actions that can be done right now. I'm used to a gear representing possible interaction and a hand representing actual action, like opening a door handle.
- Music: a bit dreary. Object scenes were usual with clear objects and some interactive items but nothing fun about them.
I think overall, there is a lot of potential in this game. It has the right elements - if only they fit together properly.
May 17, 2012
OK, But Keep Your Doubloons......
Liked it and the graphics were nice but the player is repeatedly told that he was a feared pirate. The skull and crossbones say it all. Lots of reading, listening, and relay. Technical issues caused me to go back over parts. For example, after the rose is picked it still shows unless you magnify. The map key shows up before you put it on the bulletin board. Several glitches like that make it a 3 star for me. The ending was a let-down. Why did I give all my doubloons to that floater for them to not reunite?
June 9, 2012
After the reviews, I was rather disappointed I bought this game
The game had good visuals, sound was great
But the story was rather predictable....Did not have to use the "guide" at all!
The going back and forth, back and forth was getting to be really boring, but when you did find the object it could be use rather quickly.
Over all it was not as challenging as I hoped for nor exciting.
May 24, 2012
awfull voice overs
sorry have to disagree, couldnt get into this game and the voice overs in that awfull american accent, please dont get me started. Definately wont be buying and found it very irritating
May 18, 2012
Could have been a great game, but for the 'dirty' HOs. I enjoyed most of the game, but the HOs hurt my eyes and I do not find them to be fun!!
Don't mind 'clean' HOs, but my old eyes can not take those ugly ones
I wish we could be told, when adventure games had little or NO HOs!!! I feel that I waste my money when I purchase these games, because I do not enjoy them!!
Recommended only for HO fans!
October 28, 2012