Howlville: The Dark Past
Not so great
I'm not sure why this game scored so high on the reviews. I played the demo and it seemed like it would be a good game but unfortunately, the best part was the first couple of chapters. Here are the reasons why I scored this game so low:
1. Very, very simple and very linear. A beginner HOG for sure. I don't think I ever had more than 2 items in my inventory at any one time. There was no doubt as to what your next task would be or where your inventory items needed to be used. Not a lot of thinking required for this game. There wasn't any wandering around or maps needed. You went straight through to the end like an arrow.
2. Mini-games were either far too easy or extremely frustrating. Most didn't take much thinking, just patience and luck. Also, quite a few repeats; same game, different skin.
3. LOTS (and I do mean a LOT) of HOG scenes. It seemed like they were one right after the other at times. In addition, some items were so small, I only found them by random clicking. Small items in crowded "junk pile" scenes are very frustrating. Also, some items are misnamed or odd-looking so they're very hard to find or identify.
4. No real soundtrack other than annoying noises.
5. The demo allowed you to play the first 2 chapters which took me about 40 minutes at a leisurely pace. Since the game has a total of 5 chapters, I figured I'd at least get 1.5-2.5 hrs of play time. This was not the case. I finished the last 3 chapters in less than 25 minutes and was bored to death by the time I was at Chapter 4. After the demo portion ended, the game seemed to get much more simple and linear and..well...boring. It's a bare-bones HOG as far as content.
Kudos to the devs for overall good general graphics. The game played with no issues or bugs. That said, for a seasoned iHOG or HOG gamer. I feel the game is too simplified and far too linear. I was expecting a little more.
I would save this game for a $2.99 special or a freebie from your punch card but IMHO it's not worth $6.99 or a full credit.
July 19, 2012
just a HOG (for me)
I was very disappointed when I played the whole game. Too much, too much HOS !
It's a game for players who love HOS. Yes, they are interactive like in a lot of games now, it's fun at the beginning but you can't take a single step without finding a HOS or two !
And objects are tiny or very well hidden...
Fortunately, there are many puzzles, not very challenging but fun.
The story is banal, nothing original.
I don't recommend this game if you prefer adventure and puzzles with a few HOS !
July 11, 2012
Bought this game based on reviews. Never again.
August 19, 2012
Hidden Objects Mania !!
The visual and sound great and if you love HO games well you are going to be pleased. However it is the same old story again. I probably should not have began this game after coming off of two super adventure games that really had me smiling. Not being a Hidden Objects game fan and especially one with overclick penalty, this game just had me cringing. Fun factor: Ah, I would have to say "painful". Just too, too much Hidden Objects and not enough substance for this fishie. This is a no buy for me.
July 15, 2012
Howlville No Fun
There are so man HOS that I totally lost any idea of what the storyline was. Sorry I bought it.
August 1, 2012
Not Worth Money
I definitely was not impressed with this game at all. It was not what I thought it would be based on the reviews I read prior to purchase. I love HOGs so loved all of those but most of the puzzles were just too easy. I'll stick to HOG CE in future. Thanks though BF! Love your site & games and will continue to purchase in the future. Best of luck to all!
July 13, 2012
I only played the trial part of the game, but I was not impressed. Had no clue what I was supposed to do. I wasted most of the time just clicking everywhere trying to figure out what moved and what didn't. Other than the HINTS there was no help at all. I'm glad I didn't go ahead and buy this one.
July 16, 2012
Howlville is AWFUL
TOO many hidden object games, the storyline was nonexistent. If you love hidden object games, this is it....too boring for my taste.
July 15, 2012
I would have given this game 5 stars but it would not let me pick up an item I needed. I use the hint 2x 2c if I was doing the right thing and I was but it would not let me pick it up and I couldn't go any further until I did. so this game gets 2 thumbs down from me:(
March 21, 2014
Didn't like at all
The least hidden object game I liked. I found quite irritating
September 8, 2013