Royal Detective: The Lord of Statues
Elephant strikes again... LOL... and does it right
Yes, another good release from this inventive developer, light-hearted in spite of a horrible three-headed monster, with plenty of nice features.
I can only sum these up, as one member already wrote a remarkably comprehensive well-structured review [take a look above] and I have no wish to repeat what she said.
I simply agree with her on virtually every she said, that is:
- very good graphics, highly pleasant to the eye
- plenty of hints on Casual, which is good for me as I am not too good at HO Scenes, which in addition are not that easy as they look in this game
- 3 games modes, from Casual to Hardcore
- a good balance in the amount of HO Scenes - Adventure - Puzzles
- inventive puzzles and minigames
- nothing neither too difficult nor too easy; the game is just right for good fun with an overall decent challenge level that deserves a 3.5 rating [if we had decimals, that is]
- absence of repetitiveness
- plenty of locales to visit
- fluid navigation with a map and instant warping
- 7 chapters for the SE plus an extra one in the CE
- music isn't bad, comes up briefly at certain times to enhance a scene and is never annoying
- cute gnome, nice rooster [play the demo to see what they do]
- a fair amount of humor
A couple of restrictions though mainly regarding
- the "adventure" side: the "useful" objects and their application are rather standard and not overly original...well, that's what you should expect after playing 300+ HOPAs...LOL.
- the story which doesn't offer anything new nor truly exciting, although it is fairly solid and seems to unfold well, jugding by the demo [there again, that's the penalty for playing so many games !]
- the voice-over that doesn't sound natural
- the intro and cutscenes which are below what today's graphic cards can do.
I will probably settle for the SE, but I also recommend the CE to those who value all the additums it contains.
July 14, 2012
I was just playing along on this one, and BAM! just that fast, it was over. What? Not even a kiss good night? LOL
I should probably preface this by saying: I don't review ANYTHING unless I buy it. Period. I don't think it's a fair review if you don't go through the whole game, including the bonus if it's a CE so you can tell everyone whether you think the extras are worth the bucks. But that's just me. From that, of course, you can deduce that I bought this and played it all the way through.
- Offers full/widescreen option (love this, even though it doesn't always work)
- Pretty graphics (I've seen better, but still, very pretty)
- 3 play options
- Jumpable map
- HOs had some multi-parts
- HOs are all junk pile, sorry but yeah
- Storyline ended v. abruptly (I'm reviewing the SE because that's what I bought)
- This is a VERY fast playing game - and I'm not flattering myself here. I'm not a fast player. I classify myself as a beginner (I'm not one of those '3-4 hours to finish an SE game' so if I finished it between yesterday and early this afternoon as a BEGINNER, how fast are YOU going to?)
- No journal, but it wasn't really needed because of the jumpable map
I downloaded this game with very high expectations based on the reviews and... it just didn't meet them. The end was a *huge* letdown. The graphics, though nice, weren't anything special by today's standards. If we had the option of a 3.5 star rating, I'd award Lord of Statues 3.5. Like I said, a letdown.
I recommend it, but I'd only buy it with a code or on a sale.
July 20, 2012
Disappointed in length
It was an Elephant game. One of my favorite game makers. Visuals always crisp and colorful. But I hope this game has a sequel. Very short. I played the whole game in a little less than 3 hours. I was a little bummed about that. Easy puzzles and the hints told you what to do next. I LOVED that. No need to buy the collectors edition. Which I never do. I like to figure it out my self. But overall a good game I would recommend.
September 1, 2012
Liked the game
3 modes of play. Played hardcore and didn't need any help or hints to finish the game.
The Strategy Guide can be found online, although you probably won't need it.
You have a rooster, miner and archer to help you.
You have a integrated map to move around.
Overall a good game to play. The graphics are great.
Hidden objects are easy to see and find.
Mini games are very easy to play.
A nice game to play. Not very challenging but is a lot of fun.
July 15, 2013
Really Good Game
I really liked the Dwarf and the Rooster (hint and helper), story line was very good as was the characters. Very different than other HO games.
July 13, 2012
A lot of play for your money, but sometimes frustrating
The cut scenes in this game are excellent. I enjoyed watching them more than once, which is unusual for me. I played this game twice to see the two endings. The use of some of the statues for help during the game was a nice touch. However, there was a lot of moving back and forth between older scenes and multiple visits to the same locations. Although this did not take too much time, it became annoying as the game progressed and made the game feel a little claustrophic. This is a challenging game, but the hint command is readily available. However, I do wish game makers would provie an actual hint rather than just telling you the next step in the game; it would be more fun that way.
September 20, 2012
2 endings...wow...i need to do another ending!
awesome hint helper
didnt see that coming
really enjoyed this game
may by CE when it comes on sale
August 12, 2012
The game is beautiful and pretty exciting. It could be a little harder which would make it more interesting. But I really enjoyed playing it.
BUT, the Bonus game is a waste of time, Why don't they put these bonus games right into the main game? Especially, when they are as bad and easy as this one. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed as bad as it is. The game designers are not giving us anything by inserting a "Bonus game." I have rarely played a bonus game that was worth playing. I get the impression the game designers also felt these so called "bonus games" were not worth putting into the main game so pawn it off as "more play" time when one like this is more waste of time.
July 28, 2012
4.5 stars, better than I expected!
The first 20 minutes or so was kind of iffy for me. The story seemed a little cheesy, but as I progressed and gotten more into the game, I fell in love with the story and game play. Great game in my opinion. If you finished the demo and are on the fence about this one, I say pick it up, you won't regret it!
July 26, 2013
Good game with unique twist
I liked this game as it had some uniques about it. It wasn't just a castle, princess game. It had some interesting game play with having to use specific statues to accomplish various functions. The HO games were pretty good as well but enjoyed the puzzles even more.
Game play was about 3 hours...hard to estimate as I had a break in between.
Would recommend this game.
January 20, 2013