Margrave: The Blacksmith's Daughter
I soooo loved this game!
It's a very fun game with a storyline that I quite enjoyed. It's well developed and the puzzles were different from other games of this type that I've played. Nice mix of hidden object and other puzzles. The map and walking back and forth were a bit cumbersome, but at least there WAS a map that shows you where you are and where you need to go. I would have liked to warp everywhere from the map. But that was a small matter for as much as I enjoyed playing the game.
October 27, 2012
This one reminds me a lot of Azada games. Its good but frustrating.
-there is a map, it is sort of interactive. Needed to be fully interactive.
-mini games were more than I wanted and hard
-HO's were typical and a little hard to find items
-beautiful game graphics
Glad I purchased the SG and not the CE
October 25, 2012
Keeping an "eye" out for hidden objects and puzzle clues!
Standard Edition review:
Wander around the city of the Cyclops to save your boyfriend Tom! (And pick strawberries on the way... Don't ask!;) An enjoyable easy-medium level HOPA, with lovely graphics, excellent music, and atmospheric in a sad abandoned city kind of way.
I really enjoyed this game. With all the talking heads on walls that you have to do mini-quests for. I felt that maybe I should start breaking into song from the film Labyrinth or something. You definitely have to suspend your belief A LOT in some places. It does get a bit daft sometimes, but I liked it.
- Decent game play time (>4 hours)
- Graphics and Sound lovely most of the time
- Good humour and a few laugh out loud moments
- Excellent pace of story line 'reveals' that pull you along. it is a well paced game.
- Lots of puzzles rather than just being HO-tastic, which I appreciated. A number of puzzles as beginner-intermediate I have not seen before. Everything was do-able. (matching pairs, mismatch games, remembering sequences to replay - to name a few).
- You are able to bring up the 'help' or 'clue' next to the appropriate puzzle, avoiding toggling or straining the brain to remember sequences too much.
- You can see a lot of imagination and love and attention has been put into the the scenery and backgrounds. Very lovely.
- I love how you pick up 'minions' (for want of a term) who have abilities which help you progress in the game e.g. things that at the start are out of reach will later be accessible.
- I liked how they had a thank you for their mums in the end credits. Bless.
- Map was not a fast map as described in the game (minor thing, since the city is not that big)
- I'm British, but even for me the accents and voice acting was grating. The English ones and the Scottish ones.
- Any scenes when it came to main characters and actors were jumpy/jerky/blurry and just very wooden in style and acting. Just didn't fit in with the smoothness of graphics in other parts of the game
- Some story line twists were like 'you what?!' This kind of sits in the pro area too because some things were just... well... astoundingly bizarre... and just 'what?!'
- Still trying to figure out why they have called it the Blacksmiths Daughter... Ah well.
There is a fair bit of guidance, maybe too much for some, which might put more experienced gamers off. So bear that in mind. It seems to be the main bug-bear for those who have given harsh reviews, as well as the awful accents.
But for a newbie/intermediate looking for a worthwhile casual, enjoyable, good looking and sounding game - this is the bees knees and a lot better than many other HOPA games I've experienced to date. I would definitely recommend this game.
Cheers Margrave creators (and their mums!)
March 2, 2013
An OK game
This was an okay game. Not as good as some others I have played recently. The story line was different, I mean how many HOG are their with Cyclops. I liked the graphics and the dialog was OK. It was a good game to play on a chilly morning having a cup of coffee.
October 20, 2012
I like the Margrave games and the graphics on this was is very good except when things move it blurs at bit. The challenge is hard, its not an easy game and that doesn't make it a bad game. Its just not very fun, its ok..the storyline is ok..I won't buy this one. I encourage all to try because you may love it or you may think like I did its just ok...
October 30, 2012
I was not enthralled
Maybe I am missing something. I realize the CE got better reviews but this was not one of my favorites. It was just to sappy. I will say that I loved the opening music and let that play through a few times.
October 28, 2012
A little annoying
This was ok. The graphics were good; nice pictures, decent quality. The voice of the girl got annoying pretty quickly, and I didn't really like the "battle of the minds" thing. Decided not to buy because I knew I couldn't deal with her commentary.
October 24, 2012
My biggest complaint is over the "one-eye" business. I winced every time I looked at the creatures with one eye. Otherwise, the game was just okay.
October 20, 2012
Love and Hate this game
I mostly bought because I loved Margrave The Curse of the Severed Heart.
The graphics are just beautiful, the story is quite good a bit difficult to understand it takes a while to get used to, but charming, romantic, unusual.
Some of the mini games and puzzles were good. Just enough HO scenes.
Just can't get the flow, I never understood what to do next.
Needed hints and the walkthrough.
Many situations/settings, probably too many it was like getting thrown into another world at every turn.
A skipped a lot of mini games, just didn't understand what to do or just too difficult not worth the effort.
Could not have done it without the map, really too bad it wasn't a jump map I found it tedious to go from one place to another, the map did not quite reflect the directions.
You have to try it to see if it's your cup of tea.
April 13, 2013
Mixed feelings on this one!
I began with such excitement playing this game...loved it....then probably almost halfway through I began to get tired of searching around for where to be and what to do. I had to use the hint WAY to many times for what I usually like to do in a game. The map wasn't any help and as someone else said, it didn't transport you to where you needed to go and I found myself "running" around a lot looking for what to do. Yes, I did enjoy the scenery but after searching too much even that became boring. Sorry all who LOVED this game but I grew frustrated with it. There were some fun aspects to it...but not enough to cause me to give it more than a 3. If the map would have been one which transported you, maybe I would have given it a 4. As I have said before though, it wasn't the worst game I have played!....BUT...not the best either...I am SO glad I didn't spend extra on the CE...when this game finished I was very glad! I will, however still recommend this one because it did have it's fun parts.
February 13, 2013