Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
Fun, cool & interesting
After playing the demo portion, I have to buy this game to finish it. The sound effects are perfect; the voice over is quite good; the visuals are terrific. The story line is a variation on a theme (missing boyfriend/fiance), but the underwater aspect is different and interesting. The mini-games aren't too easy but they're not frustratingly difficult either.
I really like the domino game alternative to the HOS; with some games, I get so tired of the seemingly constant HOS. That said, the HOS have mostly appropriate objects in them and aren't just random piles of junk. To find some of the objects, it's necessary to perform certain actions.
I also like that it's not a "witches and magic" game; the bad guy/s are, from what I can gather so far, power-hungry control freaks. Their appearance is still sort of creepy though and there appears to be some sort of unnatural ability held by some of the characters.
Overall, I think this is a game I'll play more than once and still find it enjoyable and challenging.
January 13, 2013
A Gem of a Game!
Every aspect of this game exceeded my expectations. Gorgeous graphics, a new twist to the "search for somebody" storyline, and the perfect balance between crisp HO scenes and challenging mini-games.
I play a lot of these, and I'd put this in my top 3 of all time!
January 11, 2013
Beautiful art and good story. The characters were drawn a bit primitively but overall the game was good.
January 6, 2013
This is the first time I write a review but I enjoyed this game so much,that I really like to add my recommendation!
I played the game in Expert mode and needed only a few hints to complete the game though it took me quite some time to find all clues! I was able to solve all puzzles: some were difficult enough to keep me busy for some time but not too difficult to become boring. The storyline was great untill the end though some scenes were a bit creepy. Maybe not suitable for young children.
This game is really worth the money and guarantees you many hours of gaming pleasure!
January 4, 2013
Truly the most fun I've had doing a bigfishgame
The story was cute and the voice acting was good, but what I liked most was the game content itself. The hidden object games were all peppered with objects you had to take an extra step with to find, and if you got bored of hidden object games you always had the option of doing a little domino game instead. What a great idea! I play maybe ten of these games a year (to give you an idea of my skill level) and I played on Casual and the minigames were hard enough to be interesting, but not so hard as to be frustrating. There were a few scary components (as seen in the trailer) but they were not so gruesome that I couldn't eat lunch while playing. Lastly, the hint gizmo told me where to go next if I got stuck, and not all games have that. Overall a terrific game!! I'm going to hunt down the development company and buy more from them.
December 29, 2012
Fun to play and beautifully drawn
I really enjoyed this game -- good puzzles, nice art, good music, and a mysterious storyline. Maybe a little TOO mysterious, in that we never learned why Eden was built, or for what purpose, but I did enjoy it.
My only quibble is that the puzzles might have been a bit too easy, but overall, it was a great and interesting game.
December 29, 2012
A fascinating game! The story flows. The layout of the map is so logical and ties in so well with the story that I can actually remember my way around most of the time! The mouse is a bit problematic in some occasions eg in a HO scene when you pick something up and change your mind and want to put it back, it won't let you. Other than that, it's simply an enjoyable game. The extra game "the last chapter" is more like "the background chapter".
December 27, 2012
Don't miss out on this one!
Based on completing the game in expert mode (at least 99.9%, more on that later).
Artifex Mundi, developer of Nightmares of the Deep, hits another one out of the ballpark. You play as a diver searching for her missing boyfriend in a once-beautiful underwater city. The story pulls you in quickly, just try playing the demo and see if you can resist not buying the game to see what happens next! While it took me awhile to get into the story of Nightmares of the Deep, this one draws you in much quicker (and I'm a fan of Deep too#.
1. The story is very well done and interactive. There were a few times I jumped in my chair. And this game has one of the best endings that I've come across, meaning no abrupt end like so many other games have. And what the main character says in the closing of the game was just how I was feeling by that time. Good stuff!
2. Graphics were great and so was the sound. I know a lot of people tend to turn the sound off, but I think those that do are really missing out on the ambience of the game. Not only do I always play with sound, I usually use headphones, which create an amazing immersive experience. #If I come across a puzzle that is taking me some effort to figure out, I'll mute it so I can concentrate).
3. Good mix of puzzles and HOS. None of the puzzles were extremely challenging, unless you're playing while tired. A few gave me a bit of trouble. The HOS were varied and interactive, with a few FROGS thrown in to build a useful item. I'm not a fan of FROGS, but the pieces you had to find were large enough, no searching for tiny pieces. You can play dominoes instead of doing the HOS.
4. You can switch between game modes during the game, so go for expert if you dare. On expert, the map is only a map. It shows locations you've been to and where you are. On advanced mode and below, it'll show where there is something to do and if there are active HOS. I got stuck twice towards the end of the game, so I switched to advanced mode to see where I could do something. Of course, both times I overlooked something in the room. There are no sparkles on expert, not even on HOS, which is good for those who like to play on the hardest settings. The cursor will change though if there's something there and there are still black bar tips.
5. This game is like getting a CE for SE price. There are acheivements and a bonus chapter. The bonus play backfills the story of one of the male characters in the game. When you start the game over all your previous acheivements are still there, leaving you to focus on getting the ones you missed.
1. While overall the voiceovers were good, at times the main character can sound robotic. I wasn't impressed with the male voiceover in the bonus chapter. Or during the main game play, but it didn't bother me too much since he wasn't the main character.
2. Puzzles could have been more challenging. This could end up being a shorter game than average if you play on casual. It took me about 7 or 8 hours on expert, and I spent some time wandering around re-examining scenes whenever I got stuck.
All in all, this game is a great ride and a great deal at an SE price. Don't miss this one!
December 20, 2012
Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
Outstanding Game! Great graphics! Not having a "walkthrough" actually made the game more fun!
December 20, 2012
A stand-out game
The fact that I am bothering to write a review speaks volumes for how good the game is because I don't write many and then only for those that are worth my time and money and which I want to recommend to others. I don't have a lot of time to play games so when I do, I tend to play the trial and read the reviews before deciding whether to actually buy it and spend time on it.
This one was well worth the time and trouble - the graphics were exemplary and there was a really nice balance between HOGs, mini-puzzles and using inventory items in order to progress through the game. I never got bored and was amazed at how many times I thought I was nearing the end of it only to find yet another room or series of puzzles or HOGs or another bit of story, etc. It was very long and I mean that in a good way. Even when it was all finished I discovered another bonus chapter - a prequel to the story we just encountered.
It really does come highly recommended because of the graphics. The scenes are so detailed and the world of Eden so well drawn throughout. The hidden object scenes are clear and the items in them mostly logical - not too many piles of junk - and if you don't want HOGs there is always the option to play dominoes.
Dive right in!
December 4, 2012