The Beast of Lycan Isle
Way Different Than Other Games & Totally Awesome!
Purchased and played the CE and definitely wanted to leave a high rated review. The Beast of Lycan Isle is a step in a new direction mixing present day with old folklore with science fiction---and done with excellence.
Puzzles are fun and not mind-bending so you can get on with the task of finding Luna's friend in a very strange land--Lycan isle!! Colorful, crisp, intriguing, you explore Lycan Isle with the help of a map that I referred to time and again while exploring the island. Everything I like in a game is here as well as a game fun enough to replay!
Enjoy! -Mama Mia-
December 26, 2012
Brilliant Point & Click Adventure
Brilliant Point & Click Adventure. For those who are expecting a HOG game let me say this game is a pure point & click adventure.
I played the full hour and being a gripping game, the hour disappeared. I cannot wait to buy it to finish the game.
I played in Expert Mode and still found it easy.
Storyline is not unique, but a good story nonetheless.
You have a Journal and a Map (Map in no transporter).
Voiceover is good and clear.
Graphics are slightly dark (being night time, but should be lighter in daytime).
There is a Hint button, but I have not used it so I don't know how quickly it refills in expert mode.
There is no penalty for rapid clicking, you have to click on everything and everyone to find what you need, but like I said, there is plenty of help.
Please give the game a try before you review.
I recommend this game.
December 26, 2012
Am loving it!
Lycan Beast is so much more than a Beauty who's out to defeat the Beast! :) I almost didn't download this because of the several negative reviews. Boy, am I glad I played the demo because I love it! It may not be to everyone's taste but I'm all for Devs. who try new approaches to the same 'ol stuff. Whoever came up w/ the sketches and background scenes did a brilliant job of capturing imaginary worlds and giving a twist to a familiar storyline.
Please know I'm not an avid player, so excuse the lack of techie terms and/or lack of reference to any past games (in case this game has been re-hashed). I only read reviews to find out about maps, how hints work, etc, because I have a cap on bandwidth usage and not that much time to download and try.
I bought it (using a PCC) after 15 mins of demo (casual mode) because of:
- Intuitive game play
- HInt tells you what/where to do/go next. Recharges quickly but I've not used it since I got the hang of how to play.
- Brilliant graphics even if on the darker (night time) side
- Movement through game is easy even without an interactive map (it shows areas as "Quest" = tasks remaining).
- No screwdrivers, saws, crowbars, magnets kind of inventory. Sure, some elements are familiar but in a diff. way.
- Inventory is never overloaded
- Puzzles are not mind-benders
- That feeling of exploring diff. worlds/paths that's nothing like the real one (no city streets, typ. homes, etc)
- A sense of humour...just LOVE the old lady's character! Brina - lol...salty 'ol lass w/ sass, eh?
- Story kept my attention w/ a sense of mystery...not at all predictable.
- Graphics sort of remind me of the Drawn series (magical world even though the theme draws from real characters + elements)
- Travel back and forth from areas isn't too much + I liked that I could see the scenes in detail on my way back
- It's easy to start playing where I left off even after a few days (this is how I tend to play; rarely finish at one sitting)
Only cons: No custom cursor + it seems to be a bit sluggish, darker graphics + those white arrows that point you to where next.
Awesome game, zero regret!
December 27, 2012
Fun and Different
Instead of a traditional scene and list of objects to find, the objects are a part of the story line. This game is more immersive than most HO games. You have to pay attention to the story and your environment to determine what to do. I think it's fun!
December 26, 2012
Very Artistic and Creative Game
I liked the game when I did the trial and made a note to get it. I got it and played the whole game. I really enjoyed the beautiful art work in the various scenes throughout the game. There was also a great deal of variety - I am sure I will play it many times.
December 30, 2012
This game was wonderful . State of the art graphics in my opinion and the cut scenes were AWESOME!! Loved the fantasy style story-line. Very atmospheric and BRILLIANT to play, good music and sound effects,worth every penny. LOVED IT!!!!!
January 21, 2013
an interesting adventure game and not an HO game
hints/skips charge kind of slow. the hints charge faster than the skips. the games are interesting. i played casual, no sound. the graphics were really good. you are trying to rescue your friend that has been captured by a wolf for a ritual and you are trying to hunt them down before it can take place. the last scene......sequel?????
March 7, 2013
The visuals alone are worth it
Breathtaking visuals, reminiscent of "Empress of the Deep" and very much in the mood. Woderful charatrization of Brinna, the werewolf fighter. Linear narrative, where you do not explore an aread until you are done with the previouls ones. Puzzles challenging but not frustratingly so.
Another winner for this developer.
August 10, 2013
TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT
I think I was hooked right at the opening. I liked the visuals and the music. It does play different than the norm hos noted here already. I have only played the free trial as of yet. the puzzles are on the easy side which I like, and there is alot of hand holding on casual level. Hint refills quick. The part that stands out is the scenery and the creatures. I just wanted to look at everything versus getting right to the task.
December 26, 2012
Loved it! One Of My Top Favorites
I thought this game was excellent. So many puzzles to solve and spectacular artwork. The shadows and lights reflected off of surfaces and floors pulled me deeper into the scene. The voice overs were done well. There were so many scenes and so much to do in each one of them. A beautifully crafted game. I liked that the hidden objects were all items you had to use to progress in the game instead of a list of useless items that do not have anything to do with the game except add time to it.
The only reason I gave this game four stars instead of five was that I felt:
1. a jump map would have been helpful
2. the puzzle information could have been better written.
3. the hints could have been clearer..."there is an item on the wall next to the stairs"....well, there are stairs all over the island, does that mean I have to visit each scene to find the correct stairs? I was on the other side of the island and I got that as a hint.
I look forward to more games of this caliber from the developer. Except for a few hiccups, The Beast of Lycan Island is now one of my top favorites. I will be replaying this game again very soon.
January 11, 2013