Dark Canvas: Blood and Stone Collector's Edition
It kept telling me I had to take the kitten. It would not work. It stuck me in the game and I could not go forward.
October 30, 2013
This Mediterranean Adventure Sank like heavy Stone
I'm so sorry to do this, but...
Setting the record straight, I did not complete the game. In fact, I only played for an hour and I am quite sure I didn't make a lot of progress. I could not continue.
First off: AVOID THIS GAME.
SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
1. The premise is preposterous. You're an investigative journalist who's come to a beautiful Greek City on the Mediterranean to report on the murder of a sculptor and his wife who were killed when they were both encased in fast-drying plaster.
2. Throughout the game you collect stone coins. The third one I found was in an up-till-then unopened can of sardines. Really?!?!?
3. When you go to the office of the Doctor who tended to the murdered sculptor and his wife you find him dead! and run into a man whom you assume has just killed him...in the same manner that the sculptor and the Mrs. were killed: encased in plaster.
4. The doctor apparently knew you were coming an that he was going to die because he, very thoughtfully, left instructions for you, explaining how to make powdered milk for his cat.
5. Though you are shocked to find the murdered doctor, you proceed to make and warm the milk for the cat rather than call the police or do something productive (oh yeah, you make a mental note that you want to follow the would-be murderer, but only after you make the cat's milk). When you do finally chase after him, he's not made much progress. To discourage you from following him he throws a giant sharp trident at you that he's stolen from the statue in the middle of town.
Please note: This game is NOT meant to be a comedy, or tongue-in-cheek. It's meant to be serious and scary...haunting, I believe, is the word used in the description.
a. The "set design," and scenery is absolutely beautiful. It's like looking at a well-drawn watercolor of a Greek Isle. Seriously: these are some beautiful scenes.
b. The background music is very well done and is beautiful. It perfectly accents the scene and you absolutely feel like you're in the Mediterranean.
a. The HOGs are poorly constructed. Admittedly, I only got through three of them, but they are piles of junk. Items are hard to find only because they are in piles and indistinguishable. The objects are not well-hidden.
b. The puzzles are lame-o. Nothing new. And the graphics were so small, I was unable to really see what I was doing in the first, standard-issue puzzle of moving a disc to its proper location without being able to jump another disc.
c. Once I knew I wasn't going to continue with the game, I used the hint system just so I could report on it in my review. The first few times I pressed the hint button nothing happened. If I was being given a hint, I didn't know it.
d. Glitches: Early on I got stuck in a scene of a wall hanging and couldn't get out of the scene. I couldn't hit an "X" to get out, I couldn't back out, I sat and stared at the item hung on the wall for a minute and then quit...just so I could restart and continue playing.
According to the description, there are collectibles and there is a bonus chapter. There is an integrated map. I didn't get far enough into the game to vouch that it's well done, but the description sounds right.
The UGLY: When I bought this game I accidentally forgot to enter the discount code for 40% off. YIKES. I sure hope BFG is feeling generous. Even $8.99 is too much for this clunker.
Although the scenery really is well done, we all know that's not enough reason to buy a game. I know this is very harsh and I'm truly sorry. The problem is this: there is NO reason to buy this game. The developers have done a real disservice to gaming in an era when we are seeing such amazing entries as "Nevertales," and "Pantheon," and home-grown games created by BFG.
This one is terrible. Save your Money.
October 26, 2013
I could not pick up the kitty, therefore I only played about 10 minutes and could not complete game. I wonder if anyone else had this difficulty?? Quite frustrating!!
October 31, 2013