An average linear game, to bring a band together (Nearly 3*)
An easy, linear game, where you bring your band back together for a battle of the bands, in order to win that contract and make it big. Not much more than that really.
I'd give this game a 55% rating. I am finding it hard to star rate this game, as it is not to the standard of game I've given 3* to in the past, but no where near as bad as the 'dislike' 2*'s I've given in the past for games I considered truly dire, but was too kind to give a 1* to.
- Nice tutorial start
- Good shortcuts: Space = walk faster, x2 click =go to other room immediately if you've been there before, Enter = flags actionable items/areas. All good for game speed.
- Mini games: e.g. a HO to find pieces of objects followed by a puzzles to put those pieces together, shooting bugs representing computer viruses before they infect a machine completely, hitting areas of the screen where notes appear when a guitar is played, etc... Not hard games, but were nice to play.
- The voice acting, in the main, is really very good and convincing. One of the best features of the game; though you can skip through conversations if you like (bottom left 'Next' button).
- It took 3-4 hours to complete in one sitting, which felt like the right length of time for this game.
- For all the cons I list below - the game play-ability is pretty okay. I was not thinking 'where is the end?' and did enjoy the game. I certainly don't feel cheated for buying it.
- The main character's voice bugged me. It sounded a bit like Leila from Futurama but not quite. (Subjective opinion, other people might like it).
- Not enough mini games, it felt quite a lot like "fetch" at times.
- Characters were stereotypes with no additional fleshing out. A shame.
- There is a manager who gets "bleeped" out a lot whilst ranting at you. Funny, but just letting you guys know in case you are sensitive to that kind of thing.
- Very linear: No branching in game play or in conversations. you are only ever going to be doing one thing or responding in one way to get to the next step.
- To pick up an object is not a simple double click. You click then select the pick-up icon: inefficient.
- Not enough puzzles or mini games, and the ones which did exist were nice, but too easy.
- The band music sucked. It made me groan and laugh at the end. Cheesy teeny type rock, Not epic or hard at all :)
If you like stories about Rock bands, and want an easy straightforward game, this would be an alright purchase.
October 7, 2012