Alabama Smith in the Quest of Fate
Not bad, but not amazing either
Quest of Fate is the second Alabama Smith game I've played. The first impressed me with the variety of different things the game had me doing, it was definitely designed to appeal to multiple genre lovers. QoF is similar, to a lesser degree. There are way more traditional HOG scenes, and less of a variety of mini-games along the way.
The characters didn't really grow as far as I can tell, from the first game to the second - they're still incredibly naive and trusting, something I'd think they'd be more careful about by now. I'd have liked to see some growth, either in how they approach problems, or at least in how they interact with new characters.
Finally, the game gets a gold star for replay-ability. Once you've beaten the game the first time around, a second side-story is introduced, and you can replay the game while finding pieces of this side story to complete. Since the main game is a decent length, this really does manage to stretch the $6.99 I paid for it.
Overall, QoF had its ups and its downs for me. It's not going on my favorites list, but I don't have any major criticisms either. I'd recommend it for a "dry spell" on new releases, and definitely as a Daily or Weekly Deal. :)
December 11, 2011
Pretty good game, fairly challenging
Not one of my favorite games, but it's best quality is that it's not one that you can breeze through so much either. On the downside of that upside though, it felt as though I HAD to use hints sometimes to figure out what to do next. Like there was nothing to point the the logical next step at times.
All in all it was rather enjoyable, but the characters are a little too pure and naive. Feels a bit like a Hardy Boys story or something hehe
November 24, 2011
DON'T waste your time or money
This has to be the worst game I have ever played. No logic to it whatsoever. You didn't know which way to go and had to guess what the developer wanted you to do next. I found that I had to click on the hint button so often that it became routine. Furthermore, the hint button would tell me to go this place, I would reach that spot and suddenly the hint would say, nope - go here, nope - go there, nope - wrong. Try here. It was absolutely ludicrous and there was no rhyme or reason to it at all. In short, I simply HATED this game.
February 15, 2012
Got the wrong version
The game is not that bad but I ordered the game on the english site and got the french version...It's fine I speak french but it's just odd...
July 20, 2012
Good, challenging game
I enjoyed this game. :)
It's true that it doesn't hand everything to you on a plate, but I actually prefer that. And there's a hint function and a walkthrough if you get stuck. (Which I did a couple of times.)
- It was fun to play
- Hidden object scenes nicely broken up with other activites
- Unusual minigames
- I found it quite challenging
- The plot mostly made sense within its own framework of logic
- There's no clicking penalty, which is always a plus. :)
- The backgrounds are attractive
- The music is quite pleasant
- Hint function - which recharges REALLY quickly!
- Skip minigames function - but you can get a trophy for not using it :)
- Walkthrough available
NOT SO GOOD POINTS:
- It would have been nice if the game were a little longer. But when I got to the end, it told me that if I had found certain clues along the way, the character could solve something relating to the story (I'm trying not to give any spoilers here!) - so that may indicate that there's another level to play. Will try to get to that another time.
- It would have been nice if the game had pointed out that I was supposed to be looking for these other clues. But I suppose that just adds another level of challenge.
- The characters were a bit nondescript, I thought. But that didn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the game. :)
On the whole, it was a good game, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a game that will engage their brain a bit more than the average game. :)
May 19, 2013