< Return to Video Game Statistics Database
Feel free to share this graphic on your website:Click in the box and type CTRL + C to copy. Then paste into any blog editor to share.
Licensed as shareable via Creative Commons Attribution. Link to this page URL for Attribution.
Metascores are created through a weighted averaging process that compiles multiple critics’ feedback. Scores are compiled using feedback from at least four different critics, and are not based on user votes (votes are counted in a different rating system). Scores are given from 1-100, with the highest scores being the best.
We compared the top scoring games of all time and listed them here. Starting with the best and moving down the list:
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Scoring a 99, the highest on the list, this game brought Zelda to modern gamers using the N64 when it was released in 1998.
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 – Ranking a 98 for PlayStation and a 97 for DS, this may be the best known game of the series. Even the soundtrack was a hit with titles from alternative groups like Rage Against the Machine and Bad Religion.
- Grand Theft Auto IV – Ranking a 98 for both PS3 and X360 platforms, users navigate through the criminal underworld of Liberty City.
- SoulCaliber – Scoring a 98, this 1999 release featured Sega Dreamcast’s finest moment of fantasy and 3D fighting.
- Super Mario Galaxy – No list would be complete without a Mario appearance. Galaxy scored a 97 for its 2007 Wii release.
- Grand Theft Auto V – Achieving a rank of 97 for PS4, X360, PS3, and XONE – this may be the most highly rated all-around acclaimed game on the list.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 – Scoring a 97 for its follow up release, this 2010 Wii game lets users defy physics across new galaxies and featured challenges.
- Tony Hawkís Pro Skater 3 – It’s clear that critics and users both love Tony Hawk. This 2001 release for the PlayStation 2 continues the tradition.
- Perfect Dark – Scoring 97 for the N64, Agent Joanna Dark must uncover the truth about the dataDyne corporation.
- Metroid Prime – This classic remake was released in 2002 for the GameCube. Scoring a 97 for updated gameplay with old school style and power-ups, this is a long-time favorite.