< Return to Video Game Statistics Database
Feel free to share this graphic on your website:Click in the box and type CTRL + C to copy. Then paste into any blog editor to share.
Licensed as shareable via Creative Commons Attribution. Link to this page URL for Attribution.
By 2019, video game revenue is projected to reach an estimated $93 billion. According to PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers, a professional services network), social gaming should bring in an additional estimated $22 billion. PwC analyzed hundreds of application program interfaces (APIs) for social gaming, based on a wide range of capabilities (monetization, streaming and recording, gave reviews, modding, retrieving data, etc.) The top ten APIs were:
- EVE Online – A popular MMORPG game recognized for multiple awards and featured in both PC Magazine and an exhibit at the NY Museum of Modern Art.
- Riot Games – Known for the popular game League of Legends, which reports up to 27 million players a day.
- Battle.net – The API for Blizzard Entertainment’s collection of games, including Diablo, WoW, and StarCraft.
- Facebook Game Services – Currently home to 2000+ games highly addictive games (think Candy Crush.)
- Google Play Games Services – Official API of the Android App Store.
- Guild Wars 2 – Another popular MMORPG, Guild Wars reports 7 million accounts, and ranks at #47 on PC Gamer’s top 100 games of all time.
- Steam – This popular gaming platform features over 6,000 games and 100 million members.
- TwitchTV – This social video gaming platform features a gaming community that hosts over 100 million unique viewers per month.
- Giant Bomb – Giant Bomb provides information on everything video game – from reviews to news, to wikis, to video game news and reviews
- SpongeAPI – This API features the modding communities of Minecraft, and is intended to act as both server and client API.