We’re very excited to share Sarah Pennington’s latest adventure with all of you in The Secret Order: Shadow Breach. This is the seventh game in our longest-running series. One of the defining elements of The Secret Order series is taking players on spectacular adventures around our world and beyond. In Shadow Breach, players will be pitted against an ancient and mysterious force known as Odessa that has been unleashed on the world. We won’t spoil anything — we just hope that you’ll have as much fun playing Shadow Breach as we had making it!
At Sunward Games, there is a small team that focuses on creating each series. For the last two years, the same team of five has been working on games in The Secret Order series. Here’s a little information about each of us:
- Andi is the team’s unofficial mom. Her scheduling and management skills, as well as constant communication, keep the project moving smoothly. She’s also a sports enthusiast, is training for a marathon, and has become quite skilled at pole dancing. There’s a dated misconception that pole dancing is just for gentleman’s clubs, but it’s an activity that requires immense endurance and muscular control, and there are pole dancing competitions held around the world.
- Paty is an artist who loves dogs and horses. She’s responsible for most of the creatures that you’ll encounter in the game. She also enjoys creating characters and detailed jewelry and ornaments.
- Dani is another artist on the team. When he’s not drawing… Wait. Dani is always drawing. He creates all sorts of content for the game, including a lot of the zooms. So, when you’re taking a close look at something, think of Dani. He also tells phenomenal jokes that only he seems to understand.
- Soma is the team’s programmer. He’s in charge of assembling everything together in the Spark CE engine. He seems to think in 1’s and 0’s, and his hobby is 01110000 01110010 01101111 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101101 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100111.
- Finally, there’s Attila. His main role is as a creative and art director, determining the look and feel of the game world. When he’s not drawing out his ideas for the series, he’s probably riding his motorcycle or doing something athletic, like basketball and CrossFit.
Aside from us, there are also other folks at Sunward who lend their skills to all of the teams as they’re needed. We couldn’t bring the game world to life without the help of our resource team.
For us, one of the most challenging parts of our work is getting inside our players’ heads. We have so many ideas about directions for the game, and it can be very difficult to decide which themes players would enjoy the most.
As a small team with a set schedule, we also have a lot of ideas for things that we’d love to add to the game, but not everything can go in. Some ideas might take too much time to implement, or there may be a technical reason that they cannot be easily added. This is probably a common issue for many game developers, and it’s important for us to be able to recognize when we should or shouldn’t add something.
I’m sure any long-term fans of the series have noticed this, but we really do love dragons. We think they are beautiful creatures and they are a constant source of inspiration for us. Don’t worry, we love the griffins too. It wouldn’t be a Secret Order game without them. In fact, we’re already hard at work laying the foundations of Sarah’s next adventure and let’s just say that we might be learning a whole lot more about a certain kingdom.
Most days, we are hard at work bringing our vision for the game to life. It takes months and months, and thousands of hours to create a game. We also manage to have a lot of fun, though. Here’s a little trivia about the team:
- One day everyone on the team happened to wear clothes of the same color to work, so now our official team color is dark red.
- The countryside near our office is very scenic, and sometimes the team and other members of the company will go on bike rides together.
- After the release of The Secret Order: Bloodline, Sunward sponsored Zoia, a small jaguar at our local zoo. The team will be going to visit her after Shadow Breach releases!
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning a little bit about all of us, and we hope you’ll have a wonderful time experiencing the world of The Secret Order: Shadow Breach!