- You can choose to use the tutorial at the beginning of the game if you want to learn how to use the controls.
- You have to switch back and forth between Rosa and Joey in order to accomplish certain tasks. If one person is not able to accomplish something, switch back to someone else.
- Read the e-mails and notes that you are given in the game. They often contain important information that you will need to complete a task.
- You can pick up inventory items, and they will be accessible by hovering your mouse on top of the page.
- There are certain parts of the game in which you need to get the right answers when talking to people. Make sure that you ask the right questions, or you will not be able to complete a task.
- Place your cursor on top of the page and you will be able to see your options for the game.
- You can switch between characters by clicking on the buttons on the main interface.
- Simply move your cursor on top of the screen to activate the interface.
- You can access Rosa’s notebook inventory items and use that screen to switch back and forth between Joey and Rosa.
- If you want to look at objects, you can right-click on them for a closer view.
- The map screen allows you to travel between locations.
- Hover your mouse over a location to see its name. Travel to that location by left-clicking your mouse on it.
- You have to unlock certain areas in the map by finding out the right information in the game. You can do so by asking the right questions, or by looking for the correct information on the computer.
New York City
- You can choose to view the tutorial at the beginning of the game.
- As the scene opens you will automatically be playing as Rosa. Click on the door and you will not be able to open it.
- Place your cursor on top of the screen and click on the "J" which will switch you to being the Joey character.
- Right-click on the glint that is on the right side of the floor, close to where Joey is standing. Left-click on the paper clip to pick it up.
- Joey will blow the paperclip onto the side of the door in which Rosa is standing. The paperclip will go into Rosa’s inventory.
- Click on the "R" on top of the page so you can switch back to Rosa.
- Grab the paperclip from inventory and place it on the door. Rosa will take a few seconds to open the door, but eventually she will do it on her own.
- Once inside, left-click on the sheets that are on the window, and Rosa will remove them from the window.
- If you look in the middle window, you will see a ghostly hand appear.
- Have Rosa left-click on the hand.
- Switch back to Joey by selecting the "J" on top of the scene. Left-click on the window, and Joel will go outside.
- Left-click on the ghost, once outside, and begin talking to the ghost. Choose the following dialogue options:Offer some help to the ghost Leave him
- Left-click on the window, and Joey will go back inside the office.
- Switch back to Rosa and left-click on the desk drawer. Rosa will pull out an obituary for "Allen Reiken."
- Read the obituary and close it out.
- Switch back to Joey; left-click on the window, and Joey will go back outside.
- You have to left-click on the ghost so you can talk to him. Click on <consult notebook> and choose the "Allen Reiken’s Obituary" note.
- Close out the notebook when all you see is Allen Reiken on the page. Choose the following options in the dialogue menu:Find the silver lining Ask about what happened Talk about wife Pretend his wife’s inside
- Allen will automatically go back in the office. He thinks that Rosa is his wife.
- Once inside, click on Allen and have Rosa choose the worst outcome. Click on the "You were right to leave him" option.
- Allen realizes his mistakes after having several conversations with Joey and Rosa.
- Eventually Joey gives Allen a rope that he and Rosa will hold. Allen will float away.
- Watch the opening credits.
- Click on the wall calendar that is above the computer and you will see that you have an appointment with Nishanthi at the Park Gallery.
- Make sure that you have Rosa selected; left-click on the computer monitor for a closer view of the monitor.
- Click on the "search" option of the screen, and the "Oogle web search" page will show up.
- Type in the word "Park Gallery" and you will be able to read the address of your meeting place.
- Click on the screen to get rid of the note; then click on the "close" tab in the lower right side of the scene to close out the screen.
- Leave Rosa’s apartment by left-clicking on the green door.
- You will now be out in the hallway; click on the elevator to leave the apartment.
- Select the Park Gallery location on the screen and you will be taken there.
- Josie will greet you at the door and you will have a conversation with her. Nishanthi will interrupt and let the attendant know that Rosa is her guest.
- Click on Nishanthi, who is standing on the left side of the gallery, so you can talk to her. Choose the following dialogue options:Ask about friend What’s wrong? Ask about story Say goodbye
- Click on the stairs, and Nishanthi will ask you to stay. You can choose to leave or stay at that point. Either way, you will go to the next scene.
- Depending on whether you stay or leave will change the outcome of the dialogue in certain parts of the game. This does not affect the actual outcome the game.
- Rosa is having a dream; left-click on the portal, and a woman will appear.
- Eventually Rosa wakes up, and the scene takes us back to her apartment.
- Bring up the inventory by placing your cursor on top of the screen. Choose "Monique’s Card" by right-clicking on it.
- You will see that you need to go to CubeStar Films for your next location.
- Left-click on the green door to leave the apartment.
- In the hallway, click on the elevator and choose the CubeStar Films location from the map.
- Monique will start talking as soon you enter the office.
- Left-click on Monique and choose the following dialogue:Ask about ghost story You don’t know the story
- You get a new location: Gothic Bridge, Central Park.
- Leave the scene by clicking on the door and choose the Gothic Bridge location.
Gothic Bridge, Central Park
- Switch back to Joey and have him talk to the ghost that is pacing back and forth in the park.
- Choose the "Frank Lyons?" option at the bottom of the screen.
- You will get a note that says Monique’s lead paid off, and that he died of a heart attack.
- Choose the "Ask about his memory" option, and a new note appears that mentions "The Minetta."
- Choose the "Say Goodbye" option from the dialogue menu.
- Switch back to Rosa and left-click on the left side of the scene to exit out of the park.
- Go back to Rosa’s apartment by choosing the Blackwell residence.
Rosa’s Apartment - Search for Minetta Tavern
- Enter Rosa’s apartment and click on the computer.
- Choose the "search" engine, type in "Minetta" and the address for Minetta Tavern will show up.
- Leave Rosa’s apartment, go to the elevator and choose the Minetta Tavern location.
- Click on the bartender and ask him about Frank Lyons by choosing the "Frank Lyons: heart attack" option on the notepad. Close the page out once the dialogue is finished.
- Exit by placing your cursor on the right side of the scene.
Gothic Bridge Location
- Choose the Gothic Bridge location.
- Switch back to Joey and click on the ghost.
- Choose the <Discuss notes> and choose the "Minetta" option; the ghost tells you about the Joe Gould Fund.
- Say Goodbye.
- Switch back to Rosa; exit the scene and go back to the Minetta.
- Ask the bartender about the Joe Gould Fund. After he is done talking about it, close out the notebook.
- Leave the Minetta bar and go back to the CubeStar Films office.
- Click on Monique and choose to open the notebook. Click on the "Frank Lyons: heart attack" option.
- Choose the "Frank’s apartment" option in the notebook. Close the notebook once Monique is done talking; say goodbye.
- Switch back to Joey and click on the cat, so Joey can play with it. While Joey is playing with the cat, send Rosa to the cat and left-click on it; Rose will be able to read the address on the tag.
- It’s very important that Rosa left-clicks on the cat while Joey is playing with it, otherwise you will not be able to look at the address on her tag.
- Leave the office and choose the Frank Lyons location.
Frank Lyons’ Apartment
- Have Rosa click on the door, and she will see that it is locked.
- Switch back to Joey and left-click on the door; this allows Joey to enter the apartment.
- Right-click on the film script on the table; read it and close it out. You will need that film script for the next location.
- Make Joey leave the apartment after he reads the script.
- Switch back to Rosa and click on the elevator. Choose the Gothic Bridge location.
- As Rosa, left-click on the ghost and choose the following options:Ask how he knew Tell him he’s dead You aren’t going Repeat yourself Tom
- Click on Frank again; he thinks that Rosa is Rebecca. After a lengthy conversation Joey gives Zack a rope.
- Once they are in a different location, choose the "Agree with him" option; he tells you that he died by strangulation.
- Rosa is dreaming again; a ghost appears in the park, and Rosa gets up from the ground.
- The scene eventually takes you back to her apartment; Rosa and Joey chat in the apartment.
- At this point you can choose to hear the short version or the long version of the story; it is up to you.
- Rosa wakes up at the tavern.
- Click on the Portrait on the wall, and a ghost will appear. She tells Rosa to go to sleep.
- The next scene takes you back to her apartment again.
- Go back to Park Gallery, and they will walk straight to the portrait they are searching for after they speak to Josie for a few seconds.
- Close that page and talk to Josie. Choose the following options:The Countess painting The Dark Lady [Roosevelt Island Lighthouse location opens up on the map] Investors?
- Once Josie finishes talking about investors a new note will go into inventory about the Meltzer Foundation.
- Choose "Leave her" and go back to Rosa’s apartment.
Look Up the Meltzer Foundation
- Click on Rosa’s computer; select search and enter "Meltzer." A new location called the Meltzer Foundation will open up on the map.
- Close out the computer; leave Rosa’s apartment and go to the Meltzer Foundation location.
The Meltzer Foundation
- Charles will greet you at the door and he will direct you to Paul Meltzer.
- After Paul is done talking select the following options:"What do you do here?" Give away money? Open Notebook, choose Meltzer Foundation Leave Him
- He gives you his card, and you walk out the door.
- Joey peeks his head through the door to listen to the conversation.
- Choose "Stay and eavesdrop" once the gentlemen stop talking. Joey will enter the office while Rosa goes back to her apartment.
- Click on the wireless box (strange device) that is on the left side of the office, and the wireless connection will be lost in the office.
- Move Joey away from the wireless router, and he will listen to Paul talk about his password.
- You will learn that "Tennis53" is the password.
- Make Joey leave the office by clicking on the door.
- Go back to Rosa’s apartment and right-click on the Meltzer Business Card that is in inventory.
- His e-mail address is PAULM@BMAIL.COM ; exit out of the business card close-up.
- Click on the computer and choose the "Email" option on the screen.
- For the enter login line, place "PAULM" and click "enter" on your keyboard.
- For the password, enter "Tennis53" and click "enter" on your keyboard.
- Read through his e-mail and you will see one of them say to Oogle "artists."
- Go back and do an Oogle search for "artists," and it will give you some pointers as to what to say to an artist when talking to them.
- Pay attention to what it tells you about speaking to artists. If you don’t get the answers right, you will not be able to complete the task.
- Exit out of the computer. Leave the apartment and go to the Minetta Tavern.
Speak to Claude at the Tavern
- Choose the following option from the dialogue menu:The Dark Lady <Open your notebook> Joe Gould Fund Meltzer Foundation
- The Joseph Mitchell note goes into the notebook.
- Choose "Leave Him" and leave the Tavern; go back to the Park Gallery.
Park Gallery - Talk to Claude
- You will now ask Claude a series of questions. Each time he asks a question and you answer, he will walk away. Click on Claude again to ask him the next question.
- Click on Claude and choose the following answers:The Countess Understanding art The hard lines in this painting are really provocative. Does this painting represent darkness in shadow? Why is one side so colorful and the other so dark?
- Claude thanks you for understanding art; he walks to the fire escape.
- Meet him at the fire escape in the back of the gallery by clicking on the fire escape door in the back of the Gallery.
Talk to Claude in the Fire Escape
- Rosa wants to talk to Claude about the Countess. Click on Claude and choose the following answers:Choose Sad? Angry? Warn him
- After a bit of conversation, the Countess comes and kills Claude.
- The scene opens back up in Rosa’s apartment for a while and it cuts back to the fire escape. The female ghost will appear in the fire escape.
Talk to Josie
- You are in Rosa’s apartment; go back to the Park Gallery.
- Click on Josie and choose the "keeping the gallery open" option.
- Leave her and go to the CubeStar Films office.
CubeStar Films Office
- Click on Monique and select the <open your notebook> option.
- Choose the Meltzer Foundation option, listen to what she has to say and leave the office.
- Go to the Lighthouse.
Roosevelt Island Lighthouse - Gold Tech
- Switch back to Joey.
- Left-click on the mug that the man is holding and you will see the logo "Gold Tech" appear on the mug.
- Switch back to Rosa and go back to her apartment.
Search for Gold Tech
- Do a search on Rosa’s computer for "Gold Tech" and you will receive a note about "John Goldwater."
- Exit out of there and go back to the Lighthouse.
Lighthouse - Lazarus Technology Note
- Click on the man at the Lighthouse and click on the <open notebook> option.
- Choose the "John Goldwater - deceased" option.
- You will get the Lazarus Technology note added to inventory.
- Leave the Light house and go back to Rosa’s apartment.
Call Lazarus Technology
- Do a search on Rosa’s computer for "Lazarus" and you will see the number 1-800-555-4554 appear.
- Click on the red telephone that is on Rosa’s desk and you will be automatically connected to Lazarus Technology.
- Choose "Press 1 (General Information)" and you will hear that the Meltzer Foundation has given them a generous grant.
- Hang up the phone and go back to the Meltzer Foundation.
- Once you reach Meltzer Foundation, Paul will talk for a short while. Once he is done talking, choose the following options:The Park Gallery’s Success <Open notebook> Monique Stahlman Lazarus Technology Close notebook CubeStar’s success Lazarus Technology’s success
- After this, Paul gets mad and kicks you out of the office.
- Joey eavesdrops and hears the name "Scooter," which is Charles Meltzer’s e-mail address.
- Let Joey leave, and he will go back to Rosa’s apartment.
- Go to the computer; choose the following options from the computer menu:E-mail Bmail Logout Button To login type "CharlesM" For the password, enter "Scooter"
- Rosa found out some news on the e-mail and she sees that her name has been added to an incoming e-mail.
- The Countess appears in her apartment and Joey and the ghost get into a fight. Make Rosa leave the apartment.
- Rosa is now in the hallway; have her enter the trash room, which is the red door on the right side of the room.
- As soon as she enters the trash door, the two ghosts come out and go into another door.
- Have Rosa go back into the apartment.
- Pickup the photo of Auntie Lauren that is on top of the TV and it will go into inventory.
- Grab the picture of Auntie Lauren, in inventory, and left-click it onto the Countess. Rosa ends up back at the portal door, the Countess and Madeline talk.
- Click on "Agree to help her" and the scene will cut to the Diner next.
- Go inside the Diner and click on Joseph Mitchell, which is the ghost with the hat. Choose the "Leave him" option.
- Click on Joe Gould and choose the following options:Minetta Portrait Why are you here? His work The Oral History Essays Paperclip
- Joe gives you the essay; left-click on the paperclip that is on the top left side of the page. Close out the page and Rosa says: "here you go" and hands him back his essay. Leave the conversation.
- Left-click on the paperclip, in inventory, and place it on the kitchen door, which is the door in the back of the room.
Kitchen - Oven Door
- While in the kitchen, left-click on the center oven door and you will hear some voices. Click on the oven again and choose the following option:Who are you? Are you the Countess? Leave
- Joe Gould comes in the kitchen; talk to him and ask him about Joseph Mitchell. He tells you that Joseph will not give him any cigarettes.
- Leave the kitchen and talk to Joseph Mitchell. Choose the following options:Cigarette Gould is in another room [receive cigarettes] Choose Leave him
Give Cigarettes to Joe Gould
- Go back inside the kitchen and give the cigarette pack from inventory to Joe Gould.
- After he starts smoking, click on Joe Gould again and choose the following options:His cigarette Leave him
- Grab the cigarette from inventory and place it on the light that is inside the center oven.
- Leave the Kitchen and you will talk to Joseph Mitchell for a few seconds.
- Leave the Diner after your conversation with Joseph is finished.
- Outside of the Diner, Rosa and Madeline will talk for a short while.
- The scene will cut back to Joey and the Countess. Eventually, Rosa and Madeline show up as well.
- The scene will eventually go back to Rosa’s apartment.
- Go back to the Meltzer Foundation.
- The door is open when you get to the Meltzer Foundation. Rosa and Paul will talk for a few minutes. They will go to the rooftop.
- Grab the cigarette from inventory and place them on the Countess, or you can wait for her to kill Charles.
- Pick up Joey’s tie that falls on the ground, once Joey and the Countess begin fighting.
- As soon as the Countess lifts her arm, grab the tie from inventory and place it on her arm. Switch back to Joey immediately and click on the Countess. Joey hits Rosa by mistake.
- The next scene shows you Rosa and the Countess talking.
- Watch the ending scene.
Created at: 2009-08-13