Big Fish Games creates free-to-play games that connect people all over the world and across platforms! Our Big Fish Casino franchise tops the charts among mobile social casino games, and we keep the party going with mini-games, in-game events, and other social hits!
We are looking for flexible individuals who have a strategic viewpoint and can grow as we grow our Data Science team in Oakland. As a Data Science Manager of our Self Aware Games Studio, you will lead and mentor a team of data scientists who are dedicated to making our games fun and enjoyable for our players. Your team's analytical capabilities provide valuable insights needed to make business decisions on a variety of topics like new game feature implementation, marketing campaigns and understanding our player behavior. You will interact with Product and Marketing teams regularly to understand their strategic goals and make sure the team is working on the most valuable analytical problems.
- Manage a team of game data analysts/data scientists with responsibility for results, methods and staffing.
- Work on issues of diverse scope where analysis of situation or data requires evaluation of a variety of factors, including an understanding of business trends.
- Work with business teams to understand their strategic goals, prioritize work and leverage cross functional teams for deliverables.
- Contribute towards product improvements and its impact on customer strategies by measuring effectiveness on multiple levels and providing insights/recommendations.
- Mentor staff in best practices including experimental design and analysis.
- Grow capabilities of the team and act as an advisor on analytical approach; oversee methodology and problem definition, guide analytic deep dives and problem solving.
- Perform statistical analysis on experimental or business data to validate and quantify trends or patterns identified by business.
- Design experiments and methodologies to generate, measure and analyze business impact.
- Effectively write, present and communicate research results with recommendations to leadership across the organization
- Comfortable working with large data sets and can apply a breadth of data extraction, restructuring, data manipulation, and analytic techniques to answer a wide range of business questions
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguous business problems and translating them into feasible analytic exercises that can provide answers
- Curious and get a thrill from business people gaining insight from your reporting and analysis
- Passionate about gaming!
- A self-starter, detail oriented, and believe in continuous learning and improvement
Required Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science or related discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, etc.
- 3-5 years related experience as a lead/manager building and managing data science teams within gaming/digital media/entertainment industries.
- 5+ years in the analytical space that includes using descriptive and inferential statistics to analyze and present findings, building and implementing models and algorithms in production.
- Track record of using complex/disparate data-sets to identify root causation, customer engagement/monetization challenges, developing/testing improvement hypotheses, and implementing effective counter measures/remediation.
- Experience managing an analytics backlog & effectively prioritizing against competing projects to deliver business impact
- Experience with manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources including collecting, assembling data, cleansing, formatting, and validation of results.
- Experience using visualization techniques for presenting data and analysis
- Experience with effectively writing, presenting and communicating research results to other teams.
- Exceptional technical skills:
- Strong programming skills in at least one language such as Python, Java, Scala or R.
- Demonstrated proficiency in SQL and Tableau
- PhD in Computer Science or related discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, etc.
- Background in mobile games, social casino, demonstrating understanding of game and player life cycles.
- Experienced with Scrum or Kanban techniques for work organization and delivery
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com!
Be the next Big Fish in the Pond!