Think big and make bold bets in the free-to-play mobile universe. SkyRocket Studios, an independent unit of Big Fish Games, unites our zeal for games with decades of experience, the best data analytics in the industry, and the kind of work/life balance that makes the other folks cry at their desks. We have a track record of success with chart-topping titles like Fairway Solitaire, Fairway Solitaire Blast, Dungeon Boss, and Cascade, with millions of players every day.
Want to be a part of a studio on the rise? Elevate your career with SkyRocket Studios!
User Experience is critical to SkyRocket’s future. This position is a senior leadership role which will lead the direction of UX for new and existing games/features. We're looking for a leader who will collaborate with artists, designers, engineers, executives, and product managers to craft our approach to user-centered designs for millions of SkyRocket players.
Strategically, you’ll act as a thought-leader that defines and drives the future of UX in SkyRocket. You will cultivate teams that excel in all aspects of UX design, including research, concept development, visual design, and prototyping. You’ll oversee SkyRocket's UX hiring with a vision for short-term and long-term needs, and a plan for UX growth. Using humor, lateral thinking, and positive energy, you will grow your employees through continuous learning, mentorship, and the development of your team managers. More importantly, your holistic understanding of UX science and the games business will encourage your employees to push the boundaries of what is possible.
Tactically, you'll raise the bar for creative and product design work. You will improve upon and add tools and processes which allow teams to iterate quickly and effectively, and will ensure that UX resources are aligned towards studio goals. You will participate in/lead significant project review meetings with executives from across the company, and will interpret and disseminate high-level directives to your teams.
Also included in this role:
- You will lead a team of 3+ direct-reports, including senior contributors, leads, and managers; this includes performance tracking, feedback, and goal setting (>50% of person hours dedicated to managerial responsibilities)
- Nurture a team that excels in all aspects of UX design including research, concept development, visual design and prototyping
- You will be responsible for the overarching vision and execution across projects; this includes UX asset guidelines and budgets, deadlines, and the product's final quality and performance. You will work with team leads/managers to facilitate project scheduling, assignment creation, task distribution, and tracking:
- Effectively advocate for UX design initiatives and integrate user research into the game development process
- You will build rapport and credibility with internal partners, direct reports, the global UX organization, and managers and executives throughout the company
- Monitor the delivery of tasks from UX design team members & is accountable for the quality of final handoff & meeting deadlines
- Attend/participate in/lead higher level meetings with other team leads/managers to facilitate higher level project needs and requirements
- Attend/participate in/lead significant project review meetings with executives including review of business metrics
- Interpret and communicate high level business and process directives to entire team
- Collaboratively set the high level experience strategy for products by working with internal and external partners to execute tasks involving the user experience.
- Mentor leads, managers and senior managers with a focus facilitating ongoing training & development of managerial reports along with resource reorg as well as team growth as needed: use humor, lateral thinking, and positive energy to maintain personal and team momentum
- Passionate about our customers, and committed to user-centered innovation while remaining cognoscente of business needs
- A Master of the UX lifecycle with direct, in-depth experience in all skill areas and tools, including facilitation of workshops or other collaboration techniques to drive momentum and credibility within the organization
- An excellent presenter with solid interpersonal and analytical skills, and demonstrated success in the clear and persuasive communication of complex concepts among varied audiences
- Able to balance a wide range of concurrent responsibilities while being level-headed and priority focused; you’re adept at task management and tracking
- Experienced managing teams working on in-production as well as live titles, having shipped several products
- Self-motivated, empathetic, and self-aware, with a giant side helping of humor and fun
- A critical-thinker with an instinct for good design, with a strong technical background and an aptitude for making things simple and efficient
- Have a relentless desire and passion for user-centered innovation, balanced with business needs, customer expectations and an understanding that highly collaborative teams make great games
- 10+ years in UX design
- 5+ years leading and growing highly-functional design teams, including teams for both in-production and live titles
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com
This role is not eligible for any company sponsored immigration visas.