SkyRocket Studios is the team within Big Fish responsible for creating chart topping mobile games like Fairway Solitaire and Dungeon Boss. Through a combination of internal development teams and second party partnerships, we are committed to developing innovative and engaging hit games for mobile. By applying our creative energy to solid technologies and rapidly iterating, we are developing fun and engaging games for large and ever-expanding groups of loyal fans. At SkyRocket, we work every day to delight our customers.
The Lead User Experience Designer has a holistic understanding of the UX design process including how it relates to research, strategy, development, and business goals. Their main task is to prioritize and lead UX initiatives based on a deep understanding of UX strategy: knowing what UX methods are most appropriate based on the needs of the business. The lead UX designer will also collaborate with the research team to construct user research, interviews, surveys, and then use gathered information to create information architecture, user flows, experience maps, wireframes, and prototypes that are best-in-class. This role should be able to work without supervision, mentor other UX designers, and be comfortable working on multiple projects. The lead UX designer will be able to raise the bar for all creative and product design work by understanding how to place the user and business needs at the center of the design process.
Skills, experience and educational requirements:
- Lead UX efforts across one or many teams: actively partake in experience planning, set UX design direction, drive discussion, and coordination efforts while adapting based on business and customer needs
- Collaborate with other leads (game designers, developers, producers, business, and marketing) to design and improve games by championing user-centered design techniques, forming consensus, and defining/implementing best practices
- Assist, lend expertise, mentor, and formally direct junior UX designers: providing goals, career insight and guidance
- Set an example and create opportunities to foster collaborative cross-discipline dynamics. Drive UX team delivery excellence, furthering internal and external UX influence and goals.
- Deeply understand user behavior and motivations to determine best UX solutions: use qualitative and quantitative research methods such as contextual inquiry, surveys, A/B testing, and experimental design in collaboration with the research team to gain deep user insights
- Design solutions: strategy, sketches, mind maps, flow charts, wireframes, mockups and interactive prototypes while iterating based on data from research. Know when different UX methods and deliverables are appropriate given scope
Prepare production files, documentation, and specs for UI designers and developers while knowing when detailed documentation is needed and when it is not
- Leverage and extend the use of established UX techniques, templates, presentations, and assets for UX analysis, solutions, and materials; foster UX artifact reuse and consistency across team members and projects
- Push UX boundaries: explore the latest emerging trends through independent research and share that information with your team and fellow UX designers
- Drive awareness: advocate the importance of human-computer interaction challenges and opportunities, user feedback, journey mapping and data-driven decisions in designing the end-to-end user experience within their studio
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating experience creating great user-centered design solutions 8+ years of experience as a user experience designer
Experience and knowledge in creating games, websites, interactive spaces, or apps without supervision
- Experience working on in-production as well as live products, having shipped at least 2 products
- Experience training, mentoring, managing other designers, and building highly functional teams
- Experience leading design for a variety of form factors, mediums, and domains (e.g. iOS, Android, digital, physical)
- Experience with the end-to-end design life cycle (concept to market roll out)
- Experience presenting to and influencing senior management
- Experience working across teams to synthesize feedback and input from product management and engineering
- Passion for user-centered design and with a fascination for understanding the human experience
- Expert at translating business and user requirements as well as goals into design
- Master of the UX lifecycle with deep, direct experience in all skill areas and tools, including facilitation of workshops or other collaboration techniques to drive momentum and credibility within the organization.
- Knowledge of UX strategy work and product visions
- Knowledge of prototypes, wireframe production, process flows, personas, journey mapping, and information architecture.
- Able to demonstrate qualitative and quantitative based decision making.
- Able to demonstrate excellent understanding of game navigation and common UI patterns as they relate to engagement and monetization in the mobile space
- A team player, open to critiques from all disciplines, and not afraid to share your ideas
- Continuously learning, constantly seeking opportunities to experiment, fail fast, optimize workflows and foster open communication
- Proactive and straightforward, demonstrating excellent written and oral communication skills
- A curious and critical thinker, able to articulate complex ideas with humility (and a healthy dose of humor).
- Independent, organized yet flexible, and able to prioritize effectively without losing sight of the big picture
- Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations