Since its founding in 2002, Big Fish has been the world’s largest producer and distributor of casual games, with titles which continuously land us at the top of app store charts. Today, we’re bounding into the mid-core space, exploring new and exciting forms of gameplay, and producing more fun than ever! Big Fish is home to six individual studios, each with its own unique style of game-play. Together, we’re united under a common goal: to produce and develop the very best in mobile gaming, and bring fun and entertainment to our millions of customers across the globe!
The Senior UI Designer will be responsible for researching, designing, innovating, and prototyping user interface designs for a new casual Free to Play mobile game we are developing in Unity. Deliverables include mockups, prototypes, production of visual assets, process design and development, as well as implementation. The UI Designer will be using UGUI within the Unity game engine. The candidate will collaborate closely with UX, Art, Engineering and Product. Candidates should possess exceptional design skills, expert understanding of motion design, and be laser focused on user-centered design principals. The ability to distill complex problems into simple, elegant solutions is key to success in this role.
- Design for the user. Create, test, implement and optimize UI assets for game titles
- Evaluates designs quickly and creates original high-quality 2D work.
- Own and be accountable for the UI design of the game including style guides and templates
- Explore, iterate on, and design how motion is used to enhance and drive usability
- Understands platform requirements (e.g. Unity/Cocos).
- Wireframe and provide visual mockups
- Provide multiple usable options as necessary, including both portrait and landscape UI for cross-platform design.
- Adapt creative styles as needed while maintaining creative, technical, and brand standards universally.
- Interface with key internal client and project stakeholders to help ensure the user experience reflects customer needs and consistency.
- Design and create high quality UI components - menus, icons, stats/inventory screens, in-game HUD elements, related VFX etc.
- Collaborate and communicate with art directors, game designers, producers & programmers in the creation and implementation of the game UI.
- Collaborate with UX and Art Lead to establish the visual language for UI including style and UI kits, movement/animation style and strategies
- Act as liaison to provide feedback and ensure design integrity of features between other disciplines
Required Skills and Experience:
- Solid understanding of usability, UX, UI, interaction design, HCI principles, and motion design
- Possess excellent understanding of style guidelines, design processes, and creative workflow
- Expert level skills with Adobe Creative Suite; strong focus on visual design
- Able to demonstrate excellent understanding of game navigation and common UI patterns as they relate to engagement and monetization in the mobile space
- Be motivated, and proactive. Independent, organized yet flexible, and able to prioritize effectively without losing sight of the big picture
- Be a highly collaborative team player, open to critiques from all disciplines, and not afraid to share your ideas openly
- Be relentlessly curious - continuously learning, constantly seeking opportunities to experiment, fail fast, optimize workflows and foster open communication
- Have solid experience developing mobile applications on both iPhone and Android devices
- Have a working knowledge of Unity, NGUI, UGUI, motion graphics, and 2d/3d art pipelines
- Minimum of 6 years related work experience including proven expertise in new game or app development
- Proactive and straightforward with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for, and excitement around the mobile games space and the potential of the industry
- An excellent portfolio showcasing UI design work across various products in various styles
- Portfolio must clearly showcase motion and interaction design as related to a mobile game application
- Portfolio must clearly showcase artistic and stylistic range across a variety of products
- Versatile and prepared to tackle many tasks, ranging from creative challenges to mass production
- Familiar with prototypes, wireframe production, process flows, personas, journey mapping, and information architecture.
- Able to demonstrate qualitative and quantitative based decision making.
- A curious and critical thinker, able to articulate complex ideas with humility (and a healthy dose of humor).
- Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com! Be the next Big Fish in the Pond!
This role is not eligible for any company sponsored immigration visas.