- From the main menu you can save or load a game, change game options, and exit the game.
- There are options to adjust the music and sound volume and to turn off voice or subtitles.
- Sometimes you may need to write down information, because it won’t be written down for you in the game.
- After opening a case and getting something from inside it, you need to close it to be able to leave the scene.
- Talk to people until there is nothing left to talk about.
- Call Nancy’s friends with the phone in Nancy’s room if you get stuck on a puzzle.
- When you place your cursor in the edge of the screen, the cursor will turn into a yellow arrow. You then can move to the position designated by the arrow.
- Find the forward arrow and take a step over to that round table to see what’s there.
- When you place your cursor on the magazines, the magnifying glass will turn to red. You then can zoom in.
- When you click the red magnifying glass, it is possible to open and close something, pick up objects, and move things around.
- Move to the desk to pick up the card key in the bottom left corner on the table.
- In this walkthrough, this game follows the senior detective mode, but you can use this walkthrough for the junior detective mode as well. If you choose the junior detective, some of the puzzles are easier, but the same solutions apply.
- Read the letter to George about Nancy’s situation and you will learn the reason for Nancy’s travels.
- Get the room card key from the top of the desk. Your room number is 205.
- Open the drawer and get the locker number (#310) and the combination (5-1-7). You can’t take this with you, so you may want to write it down somewhere.
- Check the radiator to realize it is broken.
- Open the blue suitcase beside the desk and read the information about the Wickford Castle.
- Open the wooden drawer that is beside the blue suitcases to check the food menu and take it.
- Check messages and look up phone numbers of people who called Nancy. The phone is beside the bed.
- Check the alarm clock on the same table with the phone. The pocket watch on the game screen keeps track of time in Nancy’s world. You can move time ahead by setting the alarm in Nancy’s guest room.
- Read the magazine on the round table to learn how to get fingerprints.
- Go to the door to exit the room.
- To talk to Dexter Egan, the hotel manager, who is in downstairs, turn right and go straight.
- Turn left at the next corner and turn right to go downstairs.
- In the lobby, there is an older man behind a desk. This is Dexter Egan, talk with him.
- First, ask Dexter to mail Nancy’s letter; he says he won’t be able to do it soon, but takes in anyway.
- Tell Dexter about Nancy’s radiator and ask him questions about the hotel. He will talk about the break-in at the library and give Nancy a mission to deliver some boots for a professor Hotchkiss.
Talk to Lisa Ostrum
- After the conversation, turn left to go to the lounge to talk to Lisa who is sitting in the green chair by the fire.
- She will talk about the library break-in and about the other guests. She will also tell Nancy about a key to the library by the front desk.
- If Nancy talks about the professor, Lisa will tell her she doesn’t know any foreign languages.
- On the right side of Lisa, there is a book case. Read two books on the French Revolution in the bookcase.
Ski Rental Office
- Check the watch and if it is before noon, you can go to the Ski rental office to get the boots.
- If it is not before noon, go back to Nancy’s room, #205. To go back there, take the stairs. Turn left and turn right at the first corner. You will find room 205 on your left side.
- Set alarm clock to between 9 am and 12 pm, or 2 pm and 5 pm.
- To get to the Ski rental office go past Lisa on the left, take a left and go down into the basement. Once you are in the basement go forward until you see a sign leading the way to the office.
- After getting to the office, go to the locker room to try to open locker 310 with the combination 5-1-7. Click on the ring to move the numbers. Click the arrow above the lock to select a number, and use the button in the middle to reset it if you make a mistake.
- The combination doesn’t work.
- Talk with Jacques in the ski rental office about the boots for professor Hotchkiss and the locker.
- Also talk to him about the locker combination. He will tell Nancy the combination goes to locker 311 and the castle in general.
- Check locker 311, and find Lisa’s things in the locker.
- Open Lisa’s bag and look at her passports, fake IDs, and letter in Spanish.
- After taking the boots, go to Professor Hotchkiss’s room. It is #214 by the elevator.
- Knock on the door and talk with her, but she won’t tell Nancy anything right now.
- Place the boots in front of the door. Once Nancy leaves she will take them.
- Return to Dexter to tell him you delivered the boots.
Check the Circuit Breaker
- Talk to Dexter about delivering the boots to the Professor, he will give Nancy another task to check on the circuit breaker in the basement. Some lights are out in the castle.
- Take the stairs past the lounge again to get downstairs.
- The circuit breaker is on the wall across from the Ski Rental Office.
- The box on the left is the elevator reset, and the box on the right has the circuit breakers.
- Switch the top three breakers on the left to point towards the left and the top six breakers on the right to point to the right.
- See the image for the correct solution.
Get Professor Hotchkiss Dinner
- Return to Dexter and talk to him about the radiator; also, talk to him about the lights Nancy fixed.
- He will give Nancy another mission: asking professor Hotchkiss about what she wants for dinner.
- Go to professor Hotchkiss’s room to ask what she wants for dinner.
- She will say she wants cous cous. Go downstairs to tell Dexter.
- He will say there is no cous cous here, so professor Hotchkiss needs to see the menu.
- Go to her room again. Before you talk to her, make sure you have the food menu in your inventory.
- Talk to professor Hotchkiss twice. She will tell Nancy to slip the menu under the door.
- Click on the menu from your inventory and drag it to the bottom of her door, then talk to her again and she orders 50 drumsticks.
- Go downstairs to talk to Dexter again, he asks Nancy to go talk to Jacques in the basement and get him to thaw the chicken. He also tells Nancy her radiator is fixed.
- Take the stairs by the lounge and go to the Ski Rental office and tell Jacques about the chicken.
Fixing the Elevator
- Take the elevator to go upstairs.
- You will then step into the elevator.
- Turn around and look at the upper ceiling; click the square in the corner.
- Exit the elevator through the hole in the ceiling.
- Turn around and jump up on the wooden box on top of the elevator. The ladder is too far away.
- Stand on the wooden box to open the door to climb out to the second floor.
- Use the stairs to go talk to Dexter again about the broken elevator.
- Use the stairs by the lounge to go to the basement and go to the same place as the circuit breaker.
- To fix the elevator, pull down on the red reset lever beside the circuit breaker.
Entering the Library
- Make sure that the Ski Rental office is closed, and take the paint brush that Jacques left out.
- Call the elevator and enter it.
- Climb up to the top of the elevator box, through the hole in the ceiling.
- Climb the ladder on the side of the elevator shaft until there is an opening on the left side.
- Enter the ventilation hole that is opened and crawl to the library.
- Exit the shaft and take one step into the library.
- When you hear someone jiggling the doorknob, hurry back to the ventilation shaft until Dexter leaves.
- If Dexter catches Nancy in the library, the game is over.
Finding the Security Code
- After Dexter leaves the library, go down the spiral stairs to explore the room.
- Go straight three times and then turn left. You will find the hole in the wall. Underneath the hole, there is the small table.
- Read the book in the table drawer. It is an atlas of the United States which places Wisconsin at 90 degrees west and 45 degrees north.
- Use the paint brush from your inventory and dip it in the dust on the small table.
- Move to the security system beside the front door.
- Place the paint brush with dust to show Dexter’s fingerprints on the buttons.
- From the book in Nancy’s room we learned that fingerprints go from dark to light as someone presses buttons. The fingerprint on button 3 is very dark, * is less dark, and 7 and 2 are less and less.
- The security code is 3*72.
Searching the Library
- To the left of the security pad find a wooden book shelf to the right of the model ship. Read the diary in it.
- To the right of the door find Professor Hotchkiss’s book on the floor.
- Keep moving to the right until finding the table to the right of the spiral stairs.
- Read the book, "True Stories Behind Famous Portraits."
- Turn left and find the globe that is on the wall above Hotchkiss’s book on the ground.
- Set the pointer to 90 degrees, and click on the knob at the top of the globe to open it.
- Read the piece of paper. There are strange hand written numbers, -15, 10 and -5.
- Close the globe and turn right to go to the mantle.
- Click the sign in the mantle.
- Set it to -15 and click the green button on the top. Set it to 10 and click the green button. Then lastly, set it to -5 and click the green button. You will hear a creaking sound.
- Go up the spiral stairs.
- The secret room is now open. Enter the secret room at the left of the top of the stairs.
The Secret Room
- Grab the lighter on the desk and light the candle with it.
- A key will then appear in the melted candle. Pick up the key.
- Read the poem on the table.
- Blow out the candle and exit the secret room.
- Go down the stairs and leave the library through the front door.
- Take the elevator and go back to the Nancy’s room, #204.
- Check the fixed radiator. You will find an oilcan that Dexter left behind. Pick up the oilcan.
- Call George and Ned from Nancy’s phone contacts to talk about Nancy’s situation.
- Depending on the current time of day, you may not be able to reach them. Try calling Ned after calling George.
- You can also ask them for hints as well, once Nancy finishes chatting.
Back to the Library
- Make sure it’s starting to get late at night.
- Take the key from the drawer at the front desk. It needs to be after 10PM in order for Dexter to be gone.
- Go to the library. It is across from the elevator on the 1st floor.
- Use the key from the front desk to get in.
- After entering the library, the alarm will go off. Use the security code (3*72) on the pad to the left of the door.
- Go up the spiral stairs and enter the ventilation shaft again.
- Go through the ventilation to the bottom of the elevator shaft. There will be a lever as show in the screenshot.
- Use the oilcan on the top of the lever.
- Pull the lever and go down the stairs that opened up.
- There are two doors here, unless the elevator is at the basement floor, then you cannot enter. Nancy will need to take the elevator to the 1st floor or higher.
- The door to the right goes to the Ski Rental office; do not go through it yet.
- The door on the left has seven locks.
- The locks must be pulled in the correct order, but the order changes every time you leave and come back to the door.
- The easiest way to finish the lock puzzle is to start at the top and pull every lock until one stays. You will need to pull this lock first every time you mess up. After pulling the first lock, start from the top again. Keep on doing this until you have all the locks open at once.
The Royal Tower
- Take a left after entering the door with the seven locks. Going to the right will take Nancy back to the main building.
- Follow the hallway to find Jacques trying to break into the tower. Talk to him and he will tell Nancy he wants to enter the tower for his grandfather and French history.
- He will ask Nancy to go get a medallion from his Ski Rental office locker; the combination is 2-6-6-5.
- Before leaving, take the tip of the spear from the armor on the right of the metal tower door.
- Take a right and go back through the door with seven locks to get to the ski lodge.
Ski Rental Office
- Go to the back of the Ski Rental office and go to the left to find Jacques’ locker.
- Enter the combination, 2-6-6-5. You must make a full rotation between 6 and 6.
- Look at the letter from his fiancée on the back of the door and the letters from immigration and the book on diamonds on the bottom shelf.
- Try to take the medallion on the top shelf and Nancy will be knocked unconscious.
- When Nancy wakes up the phone will be ringing, answer it to talk to Jacques. He will tell Nancy the medallion is gone.
- Click the voice mail button to check Nancy’s messages. Dexter will tell Nancy to come downstairs and talk to him.
Talk to Dexter
- Go to the lobby to talk to Dexter. He will tell Nancy how to get to Ezra Wickford’s thinking place if Nancy asks him a few times.
- Tell Dexter you found the tower and he will also tell Nancy to get the skeleton key to the tower in the shed outside.
- Go to the basement and talk to Jacques if the office is open.
- Jacques is angry at Nancy for losing his medallion.
- Exit the door out back by the lockers to go outside.
- Make sure not to stay outside too long or Nancy will freeze.
- Go straight forward to the long shed out back. Enter on the door to the right.
- Enter the ski shed and turn to the right. Get closer to the work bench.
- On the left side of the work bench is an image on the ski lift controls. It works on the sequence 3-2-4.
- In the middle of the bench is a piece of a newspaper about Dexter.
- On the right side is the key to the tower.
- Go back to the Ski Rental office to get warm. If you stay too long in the shed you will get a game over.
- Exit the building again and go to the left of the shed near the sign.
- Go to the vines on the wall and click them to remove them.
- Spin the center of the gate until it is correct and then enter the garden by clicking on the handle on the left.
- Go inside and turn to the left. Look on at the statue of Ezra Wickford on the wall.
- Go backwards from the statue two times, and see the arrow statue on the right of the screen.
- Click the arrow statue to rotate it twice and go back to the statue of Ezra Wickford.
- The statue is turned around and there is a handle on the back of its head. Pull the handle to open a door with a wooden box behind it.
- Use the key from the library on the wooden box.
- Get the medallion from the box. It looks like Jacques’ medallion but it is red rather than blue.
- Go inside and up the stairs to the right of the fuse box and talk to Lisa in the lounge.
- She tells Nancy that Dexter was just outside with a green thing that looked interesting.
- Go back downstairs to the Ski Rental office and exit the building again.
- Once you exit the building, try to enter again. The door is locked.
- Turn around and enter the ski shed.
- There is a green medallion on the strange machine to the right after entering. You will watch a little animation of a rat. The medallion is near the rat in the center of the machine.
- Go to the engine for the ski lift machine, on the left. There are three levers on it to the left.
- You have to set up the levers just like the image that Nancy found before (3-2-4).
- Clicking the left lever will move all three levers.
- Clicking the middle lever will move the middle and left levers.
- Clicking the right lever will move the left and the right lever.
- Click the second lever once and the right lever twice to turn on the lift.
- Dexter will come get Nancy and he will be angry, but Nancy can explain herself.
Enter the Tower
- Go through the library to get to the tower. Making sure to turn off the alarm after you enter the library.
- Enter the ventilation tunnel and climb down to the elevator shaft.
- Pull the lever at the bottom of the elevator shaft to enter the secret door.
- Go to the left and open the door with the seven locks again. The combination will be different this time.
- Go to the left and use the skeleton key to open the gate.
- Once inside the gate, there will be some blocks on the left and chains on the right.
- Ahead the path is blocked, and Nancy must put the chains in the same heights as the squares on the opposite wall.
- Pulling the 1st chain will change the height of chains 1 and 4.
- Pulling the 2nd chain will change the height of chains 1 and 2.
- Pulling the 3rd chain will change the height of chains 2 and 3.
- Pulling the 4th chain will only move the 4th chain.
- Pulling the 5th chain will change the height of chains 1 and 5.
- To solve the puzzle, get chains 3 and 5 to the correct position, as shown in the images.
- Next, get chain 2 to the correct position and then get the chain 1 into the correct position.
- Lastly, pull the chain 4 until the chains are correct.
- Go across the bridge that has been turned to let Nancy pass.
- Go to the left after you get across the bridge.
- Follow the corridor until you get to a large room. There is a door to a jail on the left, a chessboard in the middle, and a staircase to the right.
- The staircase ends after the first floor and Nancy can go no further.
- Finish the chessboard puzzle by returning all the coins to the correctly colored boxes to get the stairs to return.
- To solve the puzzle, first arrange the coins as in the screenshot, in order to get the blue coin in the correct position.
- Next, arrange the pieces as show in the next screenshot to get the yellow coin (with the lion) in the correct position.
- Next, put the grey coin in the upper right hand corner of the board to get the pink coin in the correct position.
- Lastly, use the walls to get the grey coin in position and the stairs will be available.
The Golden Room
- After going up the large spiral staircase there is a wooden door at the top.
- To the right of the wooden door is a button to remove the stairs behind you.
- Open the door and enter the golden room; in the center of the room there will be a tile puzzle to finish.
- See the screenshot for the completed puzzle.
- Click a piece and then another to switch the pieces; or, click the top left corner of the piece to rotate it.
- Use the edges of the border to line up the edge puzzle pieces.
- After you are finished the door will open with a diary inside it, take the diary.
Talk to the Professor
- Go back to the main part of the castle and go to the door to Professor Hotchkiss’s room (#214).
- Talk to the Professor and she will ask Nancy to look up a fact in the books in the lounge.
- This fact is random every time, but is easy to find in the two books to the right of the fire in the 1st floor lounge.
- After finding the information, talk to the Professor again and write the answer on a piece of paper she gives Nancy.
- She will then tell Nancy that she will be in the lounge from 3-6 AM. If it is not time yet, go to Nancy’s room and sleep until 3.
- Go down to the lounge and talk to the professor.
- She gives Nancy a key card to her room, but she can only go there from 3-6 AM every day, while the professor is down in the lounge.
Professor Hotchkiss’s Room
- Go back to the Professor Hotchkiss’s room (#214) at 3AM, set Nancy’s alarm if necessary.
- Use her key card on the door.
- In front of you will be a table with some writing on it that you can read.
- To the left of the bed is a table with a video recorder. Watch the video by pressing the play button.
- The camera will run out of batteries. Remove the battery from the back of the camera and put it in the charger.
- To the left of the table with the camera is a couch. Underneath the pillow on the right is another medallion, Jacque’s medallion.
- Leave the room and go talk to the Professor again; this time tell her about the diary Nancy found.
- She will translate it and show Nancy it tomorrow, so she can sleep until 3AM again to pass the time.
- Talk to her again in the lounge, and she says the translation is in her room.
- Return to the Professor’s room and take a closer look at the desk.
- There will be a translated version inside the diary on the right, and a symbol guide on the left.
- Go to the other bureau; replace the battery and watch the rest of the video. In the video Professor Hotchkiss finds a peep hole that fits the medallions.
- Leave the Professor’s room and take a right, walk down the hall all the way until you see the peep hole from the video.
- One by one, put each medallion in the peep hole and look through. Make sure to click once more for a closer look.
- To remove the medallion, back all the way up away from the hole.
- After finding all the symbols go back to the professor’s room again and look at the symbol list to the left of the typewriter.
- Nancy will translate the symbols as "Purple rose hold diamond key of queen."
- Go through the library, through the ventilation, into the elevator shaft and down into the secret hatch to get back to the Queen’s Tower.
- If the door with the seven latches is blocked by the elevator, press the red button.
- Finish the seven latches puzzle again; enter the tower and finish the chain puzzle again.
- Go to the golden room and look at the purple rose in the painting on the wall.
- You will need something to chip the tiles off.
- Use the top of the ax Nancy got from the suit of armor near the steel gate to chip off the tiles and take the square key.
- Look at the strange symbol on the floor.
- The three medallions and the square key go into this crest.
- Put the green medallion on bottom, the red medallion on the left and the blue medallion on the right.
- To open the crest, use the square key. The diamond everyone was looking for comes out of the floor.
- Lisa shows up and steals the diamond. After talking to her, chase her through the wooden door.
- Use the button on the other side of the door to take away the staircase and trap her in the jail.
Created at: 2009-10-22